11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 12:54 PM by TimeRemapper

New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s

pityocamptes

Trying to do a small project. I think I am doing it right... Basically I have still images that I want to make into an avi. OK, so I have my images, with added effects, which show on individual lines, this is correct, right (sort of looks like steps)? So for example image 1 shows on line one, with a duration of 5 seconds in at 0:0:0 out at 0:5:0 image two is on line two and has a duration of 5 seconds in at 0:5:0 out at 0:10:0. So far I hope this is right.

Two questions:

First I find that the time duration min limit is like 3 seconds, is there any way to get below this? I was hoping to make a montage that progressively sped up with the last few images showing within tenths of seconds.

Second, how in the heck do I compile the entire project and output it as an avi? I tried sending it to the queue, but for some reason it says out as the first image I have????? So does this mean that it is not compiling the entire thing? Thanks for the help, I'm a noob at AE.

• 1. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Hey there, and welcome to the wide world of After Effects!

As a beginner, you should check out Todd Kopriva's blog made specifically for the newly initiated.

Then, a technique you may want to harness, would be sequencing layers.

Add a little precomposing, and time-remapping, and you'll be well on your way to rendering using the render queue.

As for the overall composition duration and settings, you could tweak those in the (you guessed it...) composition settings dialog box.

• 2. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
            pityocamptes Level 1

Thanks! As far as the time duration, I can drag the duration time up or down, but the lowest it will go for

each image is 3 seconds. How do you get it to go lower, because I can't

figure out how to do it? Thanks again. I will read over the links you provided.

• 3. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that you're saying that imported stills are 3 seconds. There's a setting for that in the preferences. Look under Import an you'll find the default length for still footage. I have mine set to length of comp, but if you wan to you can set the default to any length you desire.

You can also trim or extend still footage or solids by placing the CTI (current time indicator) where you want it and then setting an out point by using the keyboard shortcut Alt/Option + ]

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                pityocamptes Level 1

Thanks! I was able to figure out the current time adjustments for in / out / and duration. I got the individual stills down to 1 second. I do have one other question. Why is it that in will show 00:00:00 (this is for start time), out will show 00:01:00, yet duration shows 00:01:01??? Should not duration be the same as out time? When I try to change the duration down to 1 second the other values get changed as well and no amount of attribute changes brings all three within synchronization, ie IN 00:00:00 / OUT 00:01:00 / DURATION 00:01:00. Thanks again!!!

• 5. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

That's a counting issue.

If you count from 0 to 10, you'll end up with 11 digits total.

The same thing applies to what you're seeing in AE.

• 6. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                    pityocamptes Level 1

OK, I gotcha! So just to make sure I have this set up correctly, is the following configuration correct (trying to remember off the top of my head)?

Still 1

IN 00:00:00  OUT 00:01:00  DURATION  00:01:01

Still 2

IN 00:01:00 OUT  00:02:00  DURATION  **00:01:01

(**I seem to recall that DURATION for everything after Still 1 was like 00:0X:02 - and would not render to 00:0X:01 - it was something like that, basically everything after the first still (all stills are 1 second in length) was not quite the same. Will have to double check when I get home).

• 7. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                      TimeRemapper Level 4

I think you're getting there.

If the duration of your stills after the first one are longer than one second (or, in your case, one second and one frame), then you need to adjust the duration of those stills.

Ideally, you would have a one-second still that starts at the beginning of the timeline go from 0;00;00;00 to 0;00;00;29 (if you're using a frame rate other than 30/29.97 frames per second, insert that value where the 29 is). The next still would start at 0;00;01;00 and go to 0;00;01;29 (etc...).

This way, each of the stills would be one second long.

If you look back to my initial reply, I mentioned Sequencing Layers and Time Remapping.

If I were doing your project, I would start by placing all of my images in the timeline, starting at 0;00;00;00.

Then, I would move the CTI to 0;00;00;29.

I would then select all of the layers and trim their out points simultaneously (alt/opt ]).

Then, I would select the first layer that I would like to see, then shift-select the last layer (encompassing all other layers in that selection), right-click on any one of the layers in the timeline, and choose "keyframe assistant > sequence layers". I would choose no overlap, and hit ok.

After Effects will automagically take care of staggering your one second long layers across the timeline.

Then, I would select all of the layers, and precompose them (as posted initially).

After they were precomposed, I would apply Time Remapping, and set/adjust some keyframes where I would like the speed of the sequence to ramp up near the end of the timeline.

• 8. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                        pityocamptes Level 1

Hey, thanks! I was wondering why it initially was showing 00:00:29 - I thought something was wrong. Your post has helped me out thanks again!!!!

So just to clarify, is the 00:00:29 (for example, on 1 second stills) is that OUT or DURATION, and why does it go by frames per second, instead of overall, REAL time? I think that is what was confusing me!!!

On your previous post how do I move the CTI? Also, what exactly is the trim output feature and what does it do? Thanks again. Sorry for all the nooby questions...

• 9. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                          TimeRemapper Level 4
                          So just to clarify, is the 00:00:29 (for example, on 1 second stills) is that OUT or DURATION

It was probably the Duration.

why does it go by frames per second, instead of overall, REAL time?

Well, that's how video works.

Frames-per-second defines how many static images are strung together in one second so that the eye and brain perceive motion.

Are you expecting to see a count in milliseconds? I'm not sure what you mean by "real time".

On your previous post how do I move the CTI?

Rick mentioned the Current Time Indicator earlier. Click and drag (I'm pretty sure you've done this before).

Also, what exactly is the trim output feature and what does it do?

Trim Layers.

Sorry for all the nooby questions...

Did you try searching for "CTI" or, "Trim Layers" in the help files?

As mentioned before, if you're getting started, you really have to dig into the manual, and try to figure things out on your own.

Everyone here is happy to help, but we also want to make sure that you know where and how to look for answers to your own questions.

• 10. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                            pityocamptes Level 1

Ok, thanks again! Never been a big video guy, but thought I would start a new hobby. Lots to learn. Thanks for the help.

• 11. Re: New to AE - How do you set duration below 3 seconds, and other ?'s
                              TimeRemapper Level 4

Never been a big video guy, but thought I would start a new hobby. Lots to learn. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

I hope you like coffee.