9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 12:16 PM by wkjkjones22

Premier loops

wkjkjones22

I created a project using a file imported from disk. The file was originally created by digitizing a 2 hour VCR tape. I created many scenes from the long clip and saved the project. I then used the project, deleted a number of the scenes and saved it under another name. Now, whenever I open either project, the clips are displayed, but if I click on one of them, the screen goes gray and it just loops. I let is set for more than an hour with no luck. I subsequently created a project consisting of a few short clips ffrom my digital camera and they worked fine. Is my hoped for methodology (using a master project, and deleting scenes to create a new project) reasonable? Is the fact that the original file was 2 hours of continuous input a problem? Thanks for any suggestions

• 1. Re: Premier loops
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Your method of doing a "master" Project is a sound one. I do similar.

Now, let's go back to the beginning.

You digitized your VHS tapes how?

It sounds like you did this to a DVD. Is that correct?

If so, how did you get your DVD material into PrE? Just a plain Import of the VOB's? What was the exact workflow?

Now, you have a two hour Project with the Assets from above. When you were working on this Project, did everything initially work well, but then when you went back to it, things were wrong?

A two hour Project is pretty large, and can really tax a computer. One likely issue would be if your HDD's have filled up, since the Project last played well. Another issue could be that some other programs and Processes are not loading at boot up, which were not there before. Programs, like iTunes, will add all sorts of little "helper" programs. Have you added any software in that time between when the Project worked fine and now?

Here are some general tips, any one of which could be helpful:

1.) update all audio and video drivers to the very latest versions

2.) install the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player

3.) defragment your HDD's

4.) free up space if necessary. PrE creates very large working files

5.) look at the tips in this ARTICLE for setting up an editing session

Good luck, and hope that something there will help,

Hunt

PS - playback is heavily reliant on one's I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's. Please list your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type and how these are allocated. That could be an issue too, as mentioned above.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 2. Re: Premier loops
            nealeh Level 5

wkjkjones22 wrote:

Is my hoped for methodology (using a master project, and deleting scenes to create a new project) reasonable? Is the fact that the original file was 2 hours of continuous input a problem?

Perfectly reasonable. How did you do the digitising of the VCR and get the footage into PRE in the first place? It would also help to know details of your PC (operating system, RAM, number of hard disks, free disk space, graphics card, sound card).

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

PS: Ignore all this - Bill's questions are far more comprehensive than mine

Added PS

• 3. Re: Premier loops
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PS: Ignore all this - Bill's questions are far more comprehensive than mine

Neale, I think that now, the OP knows how important that info can be - we both asked for it. Actually, you added some necessary material, that I had not gotten around to, like the CPU, video card, etc.

Good one,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier loops
                wkjkjones22 Level 1

Thanks for the tips -- I used an iConvert box, which takes the output of the

VCR and writes it to a memory card. I then copied the contents of the memory

card to a file on my laptop and imported it into Premier. Things worked

properly at first, but looped when I tried to open them later. I did add the

driver for a slide scanner after the original work. I now get a message at

start up that it isn't plugged in -- should I attempt to get rid of it?  I'm

not familar with HDDs, what are they and how do I defrag them?

• 5. Re: Premier loops
                  nealeh Level 5

wkjkjones22 wrote:

I used an iConvert box

I've not come across that one before. Is there a website for it?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Premier loops
                    nealeh Level 5

HDD is 'hard disk drive'. Defragmentation is a house cleaning task for optimizing your Hard disk (that's slightly simplified). Running it differs slightly between Windows Versions but until you answer the questions Bill and I have asked you it is hard for us to help you resolve your problem.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Premier loops
                      wkjkjones22 Level 1

I got it at the Brookstone store, it's probably on their web site.

• 8. Re: Premier loops
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot address the possibility of a driver issue, but if your iConvert came with an installation disc, you might try reinstalling that.

Can you download and install the free utility, G-Spot, to tell us the full specs. of the files created by the iConvert? Probably, the easiest way to get us the info would be to run one of your files through G-Spot and then do a screen-cap of the program. Save that as a medium-high resolution JPEG and then use the little "camera" icon to attach the file, so we can all see the info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premier loops
                          wkjkjones22 Level 1

Here is what I got from gspot. If the size of the file appears to be the

problem, I could rescan the video, breaking it into 1/2 hr or 15 minute

chunks. Thanks.