10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 10:22 AM by nealeh

MKVs on Premiere?

Tokonatsu

I'm interested in making my first music video using this program, and the files that I'd like to use are softsub mkvs.  Unfortunately though, it looks like they aren't a supported file type.  I'm really new to this program and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get them to work on it, like maybe a extra download?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back about a year, there were some threads on the PrPro forum on MKV files. They rambled along with some people questioning the use of MKV's, and you can pass over that. Near the end, or the end as I recall it, on one, one of the engineers from the software group that developed MKV's weighed in. As I recall, he worked with the OP to develop a workflow. Now, IIRC, the OP needed to Export to that format, not ingest it, but there might be some utilities mentioned, that would be useful.

Here is one of those ARTICLES, but I think that there might be more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another THREAD.

Hope that something helps. Also note, these articles are for PrPro, so they might have no relevance to PrE. I do not know about that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure if you have been to the Matroska Site, but might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                Tokonatsu Level 1

Thank you very much for such a quick reply, I really appreciate it!

It looks like this is a much hotter issue than I had thought, sorry to bring up what looked like some bad memories for you...

After reading through and sorting out all that was going on in those two threads you linked, I found a reply that mentioned a download at http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html

I also found other replies linking to http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/avi/mkv.php  and http://urchin.earth.li/~tomford/avisynth/

These all look like file converters, is converting my best option?

I'm running a little low on file space, and saving all my MKVs as doubles of another type is definitely going to take up some... so if there's any other method of opening them on Premiere Elements that would be nice

• 5. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                  Tokonatsu Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to reply to what you said before the links!

What you said here:

"Now, IIRC, the OP needed to Export to that format, not ingest it, but there might be some utilities mentioned, that would be useful."

sounded like something helpful, only I don't really understand what it means...  Do you think you could re-phrase it?

Thanks again

• 6. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never used the MKV format/CODEC, so I cannot help there. I was just replying in very general terms, and trying to find help for the OP, and for some of the folk, who tagged along. If you look at the dates, you'll see that the thread basically died, but was then later revived. I call these "Zombie Threads."

Too many just wanted all of the posters to "use approved formats/CODEC's," but when one has a need for something else, I just try to help, and learn a little something in the process.

I don't recall any threads on MKV's in the PrE forum, but might have missed it. At one time, I could say that I had read every post here - then the forum changed, and I had a heavy travel schedule, so now I am behind the curve.

Good luck, and please update the thread with your findings, as I, plus others later on, will benefit from your discoveries.

Hunt

• 7. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                      simishu Level 1

Got no answers here, except thatthe only option seems to be to convert.  I've got the River Past program you linked to and so far I haven't been pleased.  Conversion to Divx didn't work at all, and Xvid didn't encode audio.

I wish that mkv was supported, since it's really only a container, but seems like it hasn't happened in CS5.  Anyone else out there know a place to get mkvs into CS5?

• 8. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That would be an excellent question fo the Premiere CS5 forum.

Otherwise, you can try the Community forum at videomaker support site http://Muvipix.com. They've got some of the sharpest, friendliest people on the web there. And, if there's an answer to your question, no doubt you'll find it there and get it quickly.

• 9. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree, and were I posting there, I would mention that I had already followed those linked threads above (linking to them for any newer viewers), so that people know what you have already done, and what you have already read. That will same John T. Smith the work to go find those old threads and link to them again, not knowing that you have read them already.

As CS5 has added a lot of stuff, there might now be better ways. Also, there are three Adobe employees, who are very active on that forum, and know their file formats very well. Though none is a coder, they do work with the development teams very closely, so know a lot more, than even the power-users. Look for any replies by Todd, Jeremy, or Chad, and maybe even Wil, if he's dropping by. They will know about MKV support, if anyone does.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: MKVs on Premiere?
                            nealeh Level 5

Here are some links that may be of interest:

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children