16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2010 1:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7

Luke Flegg Level 1

I have a delicious new Windows 7 edit suite I built for nearly 3 grand, and Adobe Production Premium CS4.

Premiere doesn't work properly.

I urgently need to edit a TV documentary. I don't have time to mess around, that's why I paid for the software rather than pirate it or get something like Vegas or Pinnacle.

I try and load my Premiere project and the thumbnails for my clips are grey and the program freezes when I try to view them.

Importing the project into a new project does nothing.

I just lose response as soon as I try to play some of the clips (about half of them)

All of the clips are on a local, high speed hard drive.

I have downloaded all Window's latest updates.. Same with Adobe..

This software is fairly disgusting. I've been struggling with Adobe Premiere for many years, especially on larger projects that aren't SD DVD-AVI format.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
          Luke Flegg Level 1

The UI shivers and shakes as soon as I scrub or play through the timeline, the clips in the timeline show no thumbnails, even when conformed and in the project for ages.. Vegas is so much more stable, responsive and reliable. I just wish it offered the same features on the tin. I feel like I've wasted SO MUCH money I can't afford right now...

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Luke,

Which mouse driver do you have, InteliPoint? Some versions have caused just what you describe. Same for Logitec SetPoint drivers. Many have had good results using the generic mouse driver, until MS, or Logitec get a new, updated and improved driver.

Hope that this is all that is wrong. Many here have CS4.2 (you have upgraded, haven't you?) on Win7, both 32-bit and 64-bit, with no problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For these issues, I'd immediately get the very latest video card driver and install it. What is your video card? How old is that driver?

Next, go to Hardware Acceleration and look at the setting. If it's set to max, try min. If min, try on max. If you see an improvement, then increment up/down, until the problem returns and then step back one notch.

Next, look at your OpenGL settings. How are they set?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                shooternz Level 6

You dont give us much to go on except "it doesnt work"

Throw us a bone eh!

Tell us what material you are trying to edit  and what your project settings are and maybe a bit about your "delicious new Windows 7 edit suite"

My funky old XP32 suite  (CS4) works fine with everything I throw at it.  HD / SD, mov, avi etc...

I can pretty much say the same about my CS2 Suite and my CS3 Suite apart from the HD

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Run my Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM4) and email me the results and I can easily tell if your OS is properly tuned and if your disk system is practical for editing.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                    Luke Flegg Level 1

Hi Guys

I tried doing the benchmark thing but failed-

followed the instructions on the webpage, but found afterwards that they didn't match the instructions in the RTF file..

Couldn't get the script to work- runtime error.

However, project launched in around 11 seconds, rendered in I think less than a minute, and exported both formats in about 36 seconds.

Is that useful?

I am struggling to find any more time to work with this benchmarking utility.. thanks for bringing my attention to it though.

HDD setup is

System SSD

3 x Spinpoint F3 (not in RAID as I'm struggling setting it up without wiping Windows from the SSD...)

Asus P6TD

Graphics card is the weakest link here - 8500GT, until I can afford to upgrade.. Think it has latest drivers though.

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard (very recently installed)

I do indeed have a Logitech mouse, it's using SetPoint, latest version with UberOptions.

It seems like this project is nothing less than corrupted. But nothing is helped by me importing it into a fresh project... my steps:

1. Load Prem CS4 (latest update)

2. Load Promo.prproj

3. When loaded, it takes an additional ~15 seconds of busy disk activity, loading thumbnails in the timeline etc, which it normally never does on this machine. Finally, offline symbols change to thumbnails in the project/bin pane

4. If I scroll down in the project window, the lower clips have no thumbnails and suddenly everything's fallen apart; the monitor is black, the source monitor is frozen... Sometimes Prem says not responding..

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Back to Craig's question: can you tell us in detail both your Sequence Preset and also the full specs. of your source footage? There is possibly something very important there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                        Luke Flegg Level 1

Sorry about missing that-

XDCAM EX

1080/25p

preset and footage.

Wonder if it's anything to do with having Cineform on here previously and uninstalling it.. Though I can't see how importing into a fresh project wouldn't have fixed this.. The timeline isn't trying to be Cineform or anything..

It's like Premiere's struggling to keep hold of its clips.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7

The instructions on the web page are just generalized information.  The detailed instructions in the rtf file are the specific instructions.   Could you be a little more specific on the message of the "Runtime Error" problem so I could help you.  If it looks like this you just entered the path incorrectly.

Statistics-Error.jpg

If your m2v and avi files are the same place that the Statistics.vbs file resides like the above example you should be entering R:\PPBM 10-5\2 and if your preview files are in the same folder you would just re-enter the same path.

• 10. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7

Luke Flegg wrote:

I have a delicious new Windows 7 edit suite I built for nearly 3 grand, and Adobe Production Premium CS4.

Premiere doesn't work properly.

Even before I see your results from PPBM4, I am going to take a wild guess and say that your "3 grand delicious system" was not built by video editing knowledgeable people and has not been tuned.  The typical new installation of Windows 7 has about 70 processes running when you look at the Task Manager.  This has to be thinned down to about 30 for a successful editing machine!

• 11. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                              Luke Flegg Level 1

I wish I hadn't called it a 3 grand delicious edit suite now, it seems to be attracting a lot of sarcasm. All I meant is it's a machine that I put together very carefully and invested a lot of money in (a lot of money for me) so I'm upset to find I'm still running into problems, as I have been with Premiere on many computers through the years. I'm sure that it's possible to have Premiere happy and stable (clearly if their debugging machines had problems, they'd have ironed them out) but I do find it's more sensitive than other editing platforms...

Anyway, I'll have a couple of minutes this evening or early tomorrow to try again with the PPBM utility, but I've got to try and find some work around for the minute as I HAVE to get a basic cut out tonight.. at least something.

I built the edit suite and would say I am knowledgable about it. It's the 3rd machine I've built, and is based on good advice, particularly Harm Millard and the semi-pro editing section of CPC magazine.

Very aware of processes running and use CCleaner, Startup inspector and Anvir to keep services/startup items trimmed...

Do appreciate the help,

Luke

• 12. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Luke,

It certainly looks like you know what you are doing, with a good toolkit. Your source material should not be causing problems either. EX is pretty easy to handle on a modern system.

However, with EX material an often overlooked issue is that when transferring material from the SxS card to your hard disk with ClipBrowser, you then need to import the complete BPAV directory and all subdirectories and files and just skip the errors that PR lists.

I would be very interested to see your Output.txt file from the PPBM4 benchmark. You can send it to me by private mail if you like.

If these remarks did not help, have a look at the second link in this link: Some suggestions...

and post the screenshots from Process Explorer and attach the DXDIAG.txt and MSINFO.nfo files for me to have a look at.

• 13. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                                  Luke Flegg Level 1

Okey doke. Watch this space..

thanks

(by the way, can I only click 'helpful answer' once?)

• 14. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You can give 5 points for helpful answers twice and 10 points for a correct answer once.

• 15. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                                      Luke Flegg Level 1

Snore..

Fiddled with how the folders are named (After Harm's comment, and Clip Browser not revealing clips) which seemed to do something, but not really solve the issue- still couldn't edit, Prem crashed.. Now I've reinstalled it, it shows promise, but I'm trying to link media and it's asking me where EVERY clip is, without automating it, I don't want to spend hours contracting RSI finding ~250 clips... HELP!

• 16. Re: Premiere CS4 doesn't work on Windows 7
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Usually, PrPro will re-link files easily. Locate the first that it asks for, and then it will look in that folder for any more. If it does not find any more there, and still needs to re-link to others, it'll ask again, and the process is repeated. I have had instances, where it would NOT gather other Project Assets in the same folder. Do not know what the reason that it failed to see the rest of the bunch, but it can happen - just not usually, or often. Once had to manually locate 1200 stills, though they were only in about 5 different folders - each one, and one at a time. However, that was a Pr 6.5 Project originally from a Mac, and I was in PrPro 2.0 on a PC, so there could well have been some little linking glitch in all those paths from old version on Mac to newer version on PC. Still, it has happened on a few more simple instances.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you are very good looking, your wife is beautiful and you have the best-behaved dog I have ever seen - do I get any of those 5 points that Harm wants????