6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 1:55 AM by Harm Millaard

Shot portrait, want it landscape

diana danski

Premiere Pro CS4: I'm totally new to Premiere (though not to other CS4 apps). I shot some video for a family history in portrait but need it to be landscape. How can I do this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Shot portrait, want it landscape
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

You could zoom in with the scale function in Motion settings until the portait video fills the screen; but zooming a lot will give you fuzzy video.

You could use it ilie a PIP and put info or captions beside it.

It depends on what you want the project to look like.  Can you give us  some more info?

• 2. Re: Shot portrait, want it landscape
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When you say that you "shot in portrait," are you talking about video, or stills used to produce a video?

Curt has given you some options for video, but if still, used in video, there are some other options.

I'll wait for your response, prior to offering some other suggestions, as what you have, and what you want, will dictate the way to handle the images.

Good luck, and let us know exactly what you have,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Shot portrait, want it landscape
              shooternz Level 6

Use Motion Effect to Rotate and scale to zoom out to fit the video image into the landscape frame.

You will need to deal with the black space on each side.

There are many ways to do this.  ( ask)

BTW - we are going to see more of this due to still cameras being used as Video cameras.  ( I have always hated still cameras used in Portrait mode anyway but for video... thats the giddy limit for me!)

• 4. Re: Shot portrait, want it landscape
                the_wine_snob Level 9

So far, I've seen mostly troublesome mounting locations as the culprit for vertical footage. However, I do agree that the potential does exist for still/vid cameras to be used inappropriately. It happens. Going back decades, my wife shot the last race that I campaigned my XKE in "portrait" mode, as she was used to her Nikons, and I had handed her my Beaulieu 16mm to shoot my last race. We got almost 400' of "vertical" footage. Now, if I telecine it, I can Rotate in PrPro, but that was not an option way back then. Maybe then, my wife can finally put it all behind her. Also, I lost the race to 3 - 6 cyl. Porches, but was within about 2 sec. of the slowest of them. Fourth place was not THAT bad, as I did beat about 20 other autos, but not having the footage was painful.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Shot portrait, want it landscape
                  diana danski Level 1

A couple of those suggestions sound like they'll work. I can't get back to this project until Friday, but I'll let y'all know if I need more help. Thanks!!

• 6. Re: Shot portrait, want it landscape
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

An alternative approach, without any hits in quality, is to just rotate the TV 90 degrees during playback.