11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 9:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4

CarthageBlue

There seems to be a bug in Adobe Reader 9.3 with the new Yellow Message Bar. (Already posted a question in AReader Forum)

My first question is: What video playing programme is used in the PDF created by PrPro CS4?

Second question is: Is anyone else having this problem with the YMB?  (there is a convoluted work-around. Found it after hours of trial and error)

• 2. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
          CarthageBlue Level 1

I don't understand your reply of AFAIK WMV ?

• 3. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
            CarthageBlue Level 1

I don't understand AFAIK WMV ?

• 4. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

As far as I know (AFAIK) it uses WMV, Windows Media Video files, so it plays using WMP, Windows Media Player.

Also look here: http://www.netlingo.com/

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                My first question is: What video playing programme is used in the PDF created by PrPro CS4?

It depends. If you use Clip Notes QuickTime, it uses Quicktime Player. If you use Clip Notes Windows Media, it uses Windows Media Player.

Second question is: Is anyone else having this problem with the YMB?  (there is a convoluted work-around. Found it after hours of trial and error)

Yep, it's terribly inconsistent. I manage to "fix" it every time, only to have the next export be screwed up again. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, but I found that after OKing the security check, I have to go to File > Revert in order to get the video to playback. It doesn't seem to "remember" the settings for a particular site if you use streaming or zone if you're working locally.

Unfortunately, I think that these ridiculous hoops that the enduser has to jump through kill what would otherwise be an effective way of proofing video projects. Even worse, it's Adobe who breaks their own stuff!

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                  CarthageBlue Level 1

Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try your 'fix' next time I use it, simpler than mine.

My workaround is similar.

First access the PDF, OK the Instruction Dialogue box, Access the Yellow

Bar, Click security to 'remember', Close the PDF but do NOT save. Open the

PDF again, no yellow banner, OK the dialogue box and the play buttons appear

and all is well.

Now, if the PDF is saved and closed the yellow bar re-appears when the PDF

is next opened. Repeat the process and all will be well again.

So much for Adobe making security simpler and better. I have lodged a bug

report with them.

Release notes for AReader 9.3 includes the following.

"Warning Message and Dialog Improvements

A non-intrusive Yellow Message Bar (YMB) that doesn’t block workflows

replaces many of the modal dialogs.

Yelow Message Bar appears when content attempts to invoke potentially risky

behavior such as cross domain access, JavaScript execution, data injection,

and playing legacy multimedia types (non-Flash). If the associated feature

is not locked down by an administrator, the Yellow Message Bar provides an

Options button that offers the user to trust the document “once” or “always”

for that feature. For more information, please click here."

• 7. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                    CarthageBlue Level 1

Thanks for the info.

Incidentally if I have Quicktime loaded the video in the PDFdefaults to play with Quicktime.

Logically an Adobe PDF created in Adobe's Premiere Pro would use Adobe Media Player. I guess our world is not logical.

• 8. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Logically an Adobe PDF created in Adobe's Premiere Pro would use Adobe Media Player. I guess our world is not logical.

One would think so, but since Clip Notes doesn't use Flash video--at least, at present it doesn't--then using AMP as the playback module doesn't make sense.

• 9. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                        aaron lord

You could try this. It should be unneccesary but it works for me. It seems that reader does not trust anyone.

www.alserver.co.uk/clipnotesreadme.pdf.

• 10. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                          CarthageBlue Level 1

Thanks for your help link.

Seems that Adobe designers have been too smart with one lot of designers not talk to another lot.

• 11. Re: Clip Notes Review PrPro CS4
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Seems that Adobe designers have been too smart with one lot of designers not talk to another lot.

That does seem to be the case all too often. It's like the Adobe video screen capture program, Captivate, not working with PrPro for editing. Not sure who is where on the Adobe campus, but it would seem logical that they would at least do lunch together?

Now, Sony seems to have a better in-house communication system. The developers for the Sony cameras and their CODEC's must run down the hall to share with the Vegas developers, or it seems that way.

Good luck,

Hunt