19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 8:01 AM by clough shelton

unknown recorder error at 3:51

clough shelton

I am getting the "unknown recorder error" while capturing DV video, from Mini DV tapes, using premiere Pro CS four and CS three. It occurs exactly at three minutes and 51 seconds of captured video.

It occurs consistently on three different computers, all of which are Intel multi-processor machines with 7200 rpm HD or SSD. Two machines run Windows 7 and one machine runs XP. This occurs with two different mini DV tape decks, JVC HR -- DVS 3U and Sony HVR -- M15 AU. I've tried multiple tapes and this error  still happens consistently.

I'm logged on as an administrator, I've tried disabling the startup items, and I've changed the affinity settings for premiere Pro. I can capture video using Windows Live Movie Maker without difficulty.

Thanks for any help he can get me.

• 1. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try whether you can replicate this problem when using Scenalyzer to capture.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
            clough shelton Level 1

Thank you for your response.

The trial Scenalyzer software works fine and does not  get the recorder error. I have captured more than 9 minutes now and it continues to work with out a glitch.

Clough

• 3. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Apart from the fact that I prefer Scenalyzer over PR for capture, this implies that there is something wrong with PR. If you have no other problems with PR you can leave it at that, but otherwise a repair install may help you.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                clough shelton Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for your recent suggestions. Unfortunately, the same recorder error is occurring at three minutes and 51 seconds.

I could not find a way to perform a repair install, so I uninstalled the complete CS 4 package, disabled startup and non-essential services, disabled firewall and antivirus software and then reinstalled the complete package. The error recurred.

So next I uninstalled premiere Pro and then created a desktop installation point. I uninstalled my antivirus software just to make sure it's not interfering. During the desktop installation point creation, one file could not be copied: "Adobe Encore 4 FC ALL1". I then reinstalled premiere Pro from the desktop installation point and then tested it.The same recorder error occurred at three minutes and 51 seconds.

One thing I like about Adobe Premier is the batch capture feature. I would like to try to get it working properly and not have to use a second software program to handle video.

Any other ideas? Perhaps I've got corrupted media that I'm downloading from? I obtain my software through the University of Utah Office of Software Licensing. It appears that the DVDs that I am working with were created by the University of Utah through the Adobe contractual licensing program.

thanks for your help

Clough

• 5. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you use the Clean Script CS4 propgram 2 or 3 times after uninstalling? If you did there is a good chance the installation package is corrupt.

• 6. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                    clough shelton Level 1

no I did not. I guess I will try that next.

• 7. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                      clough shelton Level 1

Harm

I ran Cleanscript 3 time and then reinstalled. Same error.  so I repeated the whole process- same error.

I guess I will get a new copy of the media and try again.

thanks for all your help

Clough

• 8. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                        clough shelton Level 1

Harm

I got new media, installed it, and the same error happened. So I  uninstalled premiere Pro and used clean script again.

I then downloaded a trial version of Premiere Pro from the Adobe website. The same error happened again. While using the trial version I got an error message that stated: "Additional codecs not installed with the trial version of Premiere Pro CS 4. Must be installed". When I stopped the video capture, the codecs appeared to be loaded automatically.

Could this be some type of codec problem? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Clough

• 9. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                          shooternz Level 6

I would suggest you have an error  such as a drop out or broken timecode on your DV tape at this point

Check your DV tape at around 3:51:00.

Workaround: Manually record up to this point  then manually record after this point.

• 10. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                            clough shelton Level 1

Thanks for your response.
                            I think that is a good suggestion so I've tried several other tapes with the same result. It is uncanny, that this recording error occurs exactly at three minutes and 51 seconds of captured video.
                            This happens on three different computers (one running XP and two running Windows 7). One computer is running premiere Pro CS three and the other two are using CS 4. I have gotten software from different sources, including downloading a trial version directly from Adobe.com. This occurs when using either a JVC or a Sony tape deck.
                            I wonder if I have a problem with my capture settings. I'm capturing DV video from Mini DV tapes using a dedicated deck. My capture settings are: DV- NTSC, standard 32 kHz using the available presets.
                            The tapes do not contain any audio. Could the lack of audio on the source tape be screwing up the capture?
                            I would appreciate any other suggestions.

• 11. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

The normal audio setting for DV material from tape is 48 KHz, not 32 KHz, which is only used on cameras that support 4 channel recordings, like Canon. Try with a 48 KHz preset.

• 12. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                clough shelton Level 1

Harm

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and got the same error message.

I am beginning to think the problem must be peculiar to the recording system. I'm using a Sony DXC -- C33 camera with FireWire output to a JVC Mini DV deck. I am a recording surgery through an operating microscope. There is no audio being recorded on these tapes.

The NTSC system in the camera is 768 horizontal and 498 vertical. The scanning system is 2:1 interlaced, 525 lines. The vertical frequency is 59.94 HZ and the horizontal frequency is 15.734 kHZ.  The output signal is: i.LINK (DV): IEEE1394 Based, VBS: 1.0 Vp-p, 75Ω, sync negative.

It seems like the DV -- NTSC presets are appropriate. The only discrepancy that I can see is that the preset describes: " standard NTSC video (4:3 interlaced )" where as my camera has a scanning system of "2:1 interlaced".

I have captured video using the same set up successfully with earlier versions of Premier Pro in the past.

Thanks for all your help.

• 13. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Clough,

That is a nice camera, but I wonder in what format the JVC deck ingests that and outputs it over firewire. Could that be 720 x 480 NTSC @ 29.97 FPS? Does your sequence settings reflect that?

• 14. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Though probably not part of the issue, your statement might not be 100% correct:

There is no audio being recorded on these tapes.

There could be an Audio Track being laid down, but it would be silent. Not sure about the settings available on the camera, but many will just lay down a silent Audio stream, and in a few cases, even those have caused issue. Your case might be totally different however.

Whatever the issue - here's wishing you good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                      clough shelton Level 1

Harm,

You are correct, the sequence settings are as you specified. Under video information it also says (0.9091).

However, I captured a segment, and the frame rate is listed as 30.38 fps for the captured clip.

Clough

• 16. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                        clough shelton Level 1

Resolved

I would like to thank everybody for all of  your  helpful suggestions. I was able to fix my problem by capturing video only. I specified this in the "logging set up" in the capture window.

The tapes that I was trying to capture contains video only with no audio tracks. All I can guess, is somehow Premiere was trying to capture audio where it did not exist and that's what led to the recorder error.

Thanks again for all your help.

• 17. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Still it is weird that Scenalyzer did not have any problems capturing and PR only got along when capturing video only. It makes no sense, but you have resolved the issue and that is great news. I kind of feel unstatisfied in that I can not explain what went on and caused the problem to start with.

• 18. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Resolved

Great news, and glad that you got it sorted. I am as puzzled, as is Harm, but in the end - it's getting the Project out the door, that really counts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: unknown recorder error at 3:51
                                              clough shelton Level 1

thanks for all your help