5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting timeline to multiple clips

Vesa Rönty

Hello

First of all I have Adobe production premium suite Cs4. Using Premiere and Adobe media encoder for this task.

I´ve been doing a video database for my company. We are publishing the database to internet and that´s why I have to convert all the clips to *.flv format. At the moment I collect all clips of a genre to a one timeline (for example "snowboarding) and then export them clip by clip with Adobe mediaencoder to theire folder. snowboarding1.flv, snowboarding2.flv and so on.

Is there a method that I could automaticly export the whole timeline to multiple clips? So that I wouldn´t have to move the workspace bar everytime and export a new clip? I may have hundreds of clips in a single timeline.

Thanks in advace. Any help will be appreciated.

-Vesa / Lapland Memories Ltd.

• 1. Re: Exporting timeline to multiple clips
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Do you do any editing of the clips in a timeline, or is it just a straight export of clips gathered from the Project panel?

If you don't do any editing, then you can use the AME to add a bunch of single clips to the queue.  The AME has to create a proxy sequence for each clip, which will involve some memory and disk space overhead, so you probably can't do all of them in one go.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Exporting timeline to multiple clips
            Vesa Rönty Level 1

Yes I do edit them.

Is there any tool to split the flv files? If I export the whole timeline and then split the flv file?

-Vesa Rönty / Lapland Memories Ltd.

• 3. Re: Exporting timeline to multiple clips
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

There may be such a tool.

Until you find one, try this (if you haven't already):

1. Target the track where the clips are.

2. PgDn (goes to next edit point, let's say the in point of the next

clip)

3. Alt+[ (sets the beginning of the work area bar)

4. PgDn (goes to the next edit point, which is the out point of the

current clip)

5. Alt+] (sets the end of the work area bar)

6. Ctrl+M (opens the export settings window, which remembers your

settings from the last export)

7. Set the file name

8. Click OK

9. Repeat from step 2

You can get a timeline done pretty quick that way.  My earlier caveat

about memory and space for the AME still applies.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Exporting timeline to multiple clips
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I might have a possible solution for you, given three variables:

1. Each source clip is an independent entity, e.g. you didn't capture 30 minutes of footage as one clip, which you're splitting into smaller pieces
                2. Each exported "clip" is comprised of only one source clip, e.g. you're not selecting a range of clips for export to create one final destination clip
                3. You have After Effects, or access to After Effects

If both of these are true, try the following:

1. Open After Effects and create a new project. Import all of your desired footage into the project.
                2. Select all of the imported clips, and drag them to the New Composition button at the bottom of Project panel.
                3. In the New Composition from Selection dialog that appears, click the Multiple Compositions radio button, and then click OK. The result is that automatically, as many comps as clips will be created, each matching the source settings of your imported footage (bonus), and each named for the source file from which it was created (double bonus).
                4. You can save this project if you want to, but it's not necessary for the next step. In AE, click File > Export > Adobe Premiere Pro Project, and select a save location for the PRPROJ file.
                5. You can either open this generated PRPROJ file on its own with Premiere Pro, or you can import it into an existing project, perhaps where you have other assets ready to go, like music or graphics. Each composition from the original AE project will be interpreted as an individual sequence, with the names preserved, and each will contain a single clip. You can then edit the clips and sequences as necessary, and then export each sequence individually as an independent FLV (or other) file.

This sounds like more work than it really easy. The nice thing is that whether you're doing 5 or 20 or 200 clips/sequences, it doesn't take any longer to set up the project--and it's actually less work than trying to do it with Premiere alone. Another added benefit is that, if you don't have to do any editing of the files in Premiere, you can simply open Adobe Media Encoder and Dynamic Link to your exported PRPROJ file. There, you can set export parameters for all of the sequences at once, instead of one by one. The downside is the way exports get named when files/sequences are added directly to AME is a little funky--instead of assuming the SEQUENCE name, they assume the name of the PROJECT file, with sequential numbers appended to the end of each file name. Of course, this can be quickly remedied with a renaming tool from your operating system's file browser.

Hope that might help!

• 5. Re: Exporting timeline to multiple clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Is there any tool to split the flv files?

I cannot say specifically, but I would check out the FLV products at Moyea. They produce a bunch of FLV utilities, and one might be just the ticket for you.

Good luck,

Hunt