11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2007 7:56 PM by bregent

How to make window size smaller

pacman1967
      Hello:

I'm working in dreamweaver on this site http://www.jspcworld.com, I need a script to use to make the page size view at one size. Right now if you click on the link it has a gap going across the page, and it is driving me crazy, because I'm not sure how to fix it.

Can someone tell me how I can fix this?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: How to make window size smaller
          Level 7
          Was the page originally created with Dreamweaver? Doesn't look like it
          was. The gap that is driving you crazy may likely be due to one of the
          71 validation errors on your page:
          http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jspcworld.com%2F

It looks like you have hand-coded, copied/pasted, or done something
          other than let DW write your code for you - which is fine providing you
          know how to write code.

Rather than play with JavaScript to resize the window (which some users
          will have disabled while most others will resize the window to something
          other than what you specified anyway) - concentrate on fixing the
          validation errors. For starters - the DOCTYPE should be at the top of
          the document - not buried in the HEAD after your META tags.

--
          Alec
          Adobe Community Expert
          • 2. Re: How to make window size smaller
            Level 7
            > click on the link it has a gap going across the page

I don't know which link you mean and not sure which gap you're referring to
            but
            there are a couple of places to start which could help.

Your DOCTYPE is in the wrong place - grab everything above it and put it
            below so you have :
            DOCTYPE ...
            <html>
            <head>
            <title>...
            <meta name...

You have an id starting with an underscore (_1pChatBtn") which is not
            allowed.

Have a look at
            and if you post back after these fixes somebody could give further advice.

--
            Jo

"pacman1967" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fdscav$65m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello:
            >
            > I'm working in dreamweaver on this site http://www.jspcworld.com, I need a
            > script to use to make the page size view at one size. Right now if you
            > click on
            > the link it has a gap going across the page, and it is driving me crazy,
            > because I'm not sure how to fix it.
            >
            > Can someone tell me how I can fix this?
            >
            > Thanks
            >

• 3. Re: How to make window size smaller
              Level 7
              On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:06:43 +0300, "josie1one"
              <joleros@spamoffyahoo.com> wrote:

>> click on the link it has a gap going across the page
              >
              >I don't know which link you mean and not sure which gap you're referring to
              >but
              >there are a couple of places to start which could help.
              >
              >Your DOCTYPE is in the wrong place - grab everything above it and put it
              >below so you have :
              >DOCTYPE ...
              ><html>
              ><head>
              ><title>...
              ><meta name...
              >
              >You have an id starting with an underscore (_1pChatBtn") which is not
              >allowed.
              >
              >Have a look at
              > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jspcworld.com%2F
              >and if you post back after these fixes somebody could give further advice.

and also look what happens when you increase text size - it rather
              falls apart ???

you have layers / absolute divs all over the place ???

--

~Malcolm N....
              ~
              • 4. Re: How to make window size smaller
                pacman1967 Level 1
                Hello Alec:

Thank you for helping me with that. I will go ahead and fix the validation code. Yes, the page was built in dw and no I did not write any codes, dw always create the codes for me. I guess I should not say gap. This is what is happening; on the homepage www.jspcworld.com, there is additional white space going across the screen. What exactly do I need to do to make that space disappear. I will go ahead and fix the validation code, but I'm not sure if that would help?

Awhile ago I had upload an image which I did not realize at the moment was very large and it shifted the page. I then remove that image, but for some reason I cannot get the page back to the origional size.

If you can tell me exactly what I need to do in order to fix it I certainly will.

Thanks so much
                • 5. Re: How to make window size smaller
                  pacman1967 Level 1
                  Hi Jo!

I'm fixing the DOCTYPE: This is what I'm doing:
                  I'm going to grab everything above the DOCTYPE and put it below. The top of the page should read this:

1) DOCTYPE ...
                  <html>
                  <head>
                  <title>...
                  <meta name...
                  ( Should I put anything next to the <html > <head> <title> and the <meta name.. or just leave it as is and paste everthing below that?

2) I have to fix the Validation Output: It is saying I have 8 Errors, because the "Line 1, Column 23: character "<" invalid: only minimum data characters allowed" .

3) What is the mimimum data characters I should use? From the link you've sent me it looks as if it is all broken up. Do I have to shorten the lenght?

Thanks so much again

• 6. Re: How to make window size smaller
                    Level 7
                    Your DOCTYPE is still invalid. You copied/pasted - but messed things up.
                    You are now missing your complete DOCTYPE and the opening html and head
                    tags. The top of your document starts like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "<title>

--
                    Alec
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    • 7. Re: How to make window size smaller
                      pacman1967 Level 1
                      Hello Alec:

I had to step out, will fix it when I returned. I was told that the top of my document should read like this:

DOCTYPE ...
                      <html>
                      <head>
                      <title>...
                      <meta name...

I will definitely fix it.
                      • 8. Re: How to make window size smaller
                        Level 7
                        Yes - that was correct - but you don't have
                        DOCTYPE ...
                        <html>
                        <head>
                        <title>...
                        <meta name...

--
                        Alec
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        • 9. Re: How to make window size smaller
                          Level 7
                          OK, my fault for using ...
                          Something like this, which Dreamweaver should create for you if your site is
                          defined correctly:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
                          <head>
                          <title>jspcworld.com and computers- digital cameras, Camcorders, DVD
                          etc</title>
                          <meta name="description" content=""Constructed by Dionne C Blanchard" />
                          <meta name="keywords" content="Electronics, PSP, XBox, Televisions, IPod,
                          Appliances,Kitchen Appliances, DVD, KitchenAid,Saeco,Pasquini,Bunn, Solis,
                          Coffee Makers, KitchenAid Stand Mixers, Espresso Machines, Sale Camcorder,
                          DigitalCamerassale, Clearancesale, Desktops, Notebooks, VAIO,
                          Computers, Laptops, Peripherals, Computer accessories, Displays, Digital
                          cameras, Cyber-shot, Camcorders Digital, Camcorders, Handycam, Audio/Video,
                          Portable Audio,
                          MP3 Players, Portable DVD, Walkman players, Digital, Music Players,
                          Computer/Clearance, DVDs Videos, Photo, Printer, Scanners, Fax, PlayStation,
                          Music/IPod, Games, PSP, PlayStation Portable">
                          />

then your <script> stuff, then </script>, </head> followed by <body>
                          Please don't copy and paste what I've put above, this is only an indication.
                          Alec is far better placed to fix you up, anyway. As Malcolm says, your
                          absolutely positioned divs ("Layers") are going to throw everything out
                          anyway when resized.

--
                          Jo

"pacman1967" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:fdu1l0$58s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Hello Alec:
                          >
                          > I had to step out, will fix it when I returned. I was told that the top of
                          > my
                          > document should read like this:
                          >
                          > DOCTYPE ...
                          > <html>
                          > <head>
                          > <title>...
                          > <meta name...
                          >
                          > I will definitely fix it.
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: How to make window size smaller
                            pacman1967 Level 1
                            Hi Malcolm:

I fixed the error messages, however, I'm still getting an error message stating "Done but with errros on page"

• 11. Re: How to make window size smaller
                              bregent Most Valuable Participant
                              >I fixed the error messages, however, I'm still getting an error message stating "Done but with errros on page"

You've got 70 validation errors including duplicate html and head tags: