6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 10:12 AM by the_wine_snob

CS3 and video and audio not being in sync

ChironeVincent Level 1

i have some video and some audio that was captured the same time as the video

the audio is to replace the video as the audio on the video was not captured too well.

but the problem is that after a while the video and it's audio is behind the recorded audio

is there a way to correct this?

• 1. Re: CS3 and video and audio not being in sync
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One, this is the OLD Premiere forum... you need

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

Two, when you post there, provide the DETAILS asked for in the 2nd link below

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: CS3 and video and audio not being in sync
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us more details on exactly how this source material was "captured," and was the Capture done in PrPro from a miniDV tape source via FireWire? Also, what camera created the tape? (This could be the cause, but before we jump to any conclusions, we need to know the camera and model).

There could be a lot of reasons for dynamic OOS problems.

Thanks for the above requested info, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CS3 and video and audio not being in sync
              ChironeVincent Level 1

i thought maybe i could resolve it by reencoding the video at a higher fps but it didn't change anything

the video was captured on a panasonic NV-GS230 onto a miniDV tape

it was transferred onto a computer via USB

the audio was captured using a samsung yv-150 voice pen, transferred by USB

the video was originally transferred onto a different computer using Ulead studio 9 and plays at 24fps

the audio is was given to me compressed as an mp3 and bitrate of 128kbs

i was originally asked to replace the video's audio with the audio captured by the recorder but found that while the audio may appear to be in sync at the start it begins to lead the video after a while

the computer i'm using has an Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 (2.5GHz) and has 8GB of RAM

the computer used to transfer was of much lower spec with 1GB of RAM and a much less advanced cpu.

• 4. Re: CS3 and video and audio not being in sync
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Several possible problems here. First, the chances of the two devices having the exact same rate is unlikely. Even very high-end cameras and untethered recorders are usually not perfect. In the old days of film, we'd choose the crystal sync clock in either the camera, or the recorder, and establish a "master/slave" relationship - but we were hooked together by cable. One high-end equipment users has found that he needs to Time Stretch his Audio by 104% in Audition, and then things match up with his gear - no drifting OOS.

Next, you say that you Captured at 24 FPS. Was that the Frame Rate that the camera recorded at, or was this a guess to try and sync the Audio and Video.

Last, MP3 are about as bad a format, as you can use. Going back to that recorder, can you re-Capture into PCM/WAV (Uncompressed)? MP3's offer a host of problems, just by their very nature. Other than tiny SFX files, I never use that format. Also, it is horribly and heavily compressed, so you've lost a great deal of your audio quality, just by using MP3.

Good luck, and hope that something helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CS3 and video and audio not being in sync
                  ChironeVincent Level 1

I see!

you comment about using audition to time stretch the audio led me to open the sound file up in sound booth (since i dont have audition)

i've been playing with the time that the sound file takes up all day just guessing what the best percent to stretch it by would be. takes a while since the audio is pretty long but it seems to be getting me somewhere

the person who transfered the film to computer probably would have assumed it was 24fps since we're in a PAL region. this particular camera model isn't advanced enough to let you choose what fps you'll record in

thanks for your help and explanations!

• 6. Re: CS3 and video and audio not being in sync
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Doing the experiments is tedious. The upside is that given the same exact footage specs. in the future, once you find the "magic number," you should be good to go.

In the cited case, the user always used the same camera and the same recorder, and did all shoots the same way. Once he had his "magic number," it was incorporated into his workflow, and became just a common step.

I did not mention SB, as I have not seen it, since its beta, and have to admit I cannot recall what it can, and cannot do. Glad to know that in your case, it works fine. No need to buy Audition - at least not yet.

Good luck,

Hunt