12 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 6:36 AM by Harleywc

Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4

JudgeGC Level 1

We have this issue where I work of colors remaining in swatches even when deleted, which for some reason creates huge files when saved, 1 gig + at times.

The colors that remain in the swatch are all titled "Global Color", it is possible to select and delete them all, but it is just an illusion, as soon as you copy and paste anything from the document all the Global Colors return.

I have browsed the web and seen no solution to the problem. I have many files infected with these colors and can upload a file somewhere for any one to investigate.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Judge,

If I understand it in the right way, it may be an issue with hidden use of the colours, such as Symbols containing them, which has to cease to get rid of them.

• 2. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
            JudgeGC Level 1

Thanks for quick reply,

I can remove everything in the document (Artwork / Colors / Styles) etc and the problem persists. I Draw a cube copy + paste and they all reapear. If i can find a file small enough 5meg (doubtfull considering some are 1 gig) i will upload it.

I have read about the issue on other forums and some state it is a error within illustrators saving code and then corrupts a file which they gave no fix for . The problem with the global colors issue is it is acting like a virus. Once somebody who has a file that is infected deletes all the unused colors it appears the globals have gone. But in reality they are all still there and just waiting to be copy and pasted into a new document.

Any help is appreciated. 1 gig files over ftp is getting silly. :/

• 3. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Judge,

This may be quite laborious, but you may use this method, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/500/cpsid_50031.html , to get access to the underlying code in the documents.

With that, you may have a look at:

1) A healthy document (maybe a new document with nothing in it);

2) An infected document (maybe a copy of 1) with just a simple path or something small);

and then compare to find the sick part.

You may then be able to search and destroy that part in each of the infected documents; you may start with 2) and see whether it works.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                Rehan ali Level 1

hi also when you use an default action to delete swatches,color styles,brushes etc in the document this may not delete all swatches in the pannel one to two colors reamin that colors that donot belong to your artwork in your pannel why is there any idea?

• 5. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                  moluapple Level 4

I agree with Jacob.

See also http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408008.html, that's the  right solution.

• 6. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

If you have a applied global colors to art and then delete the swatches i would say they are still there on the other hand if you have changed the colors by selecting a swatch of a non global color and then delete the global swatch then it will be gone if you do a save as.

I don't think just deleting the swatch changes anything.

I might be misunderstanding but this is what I think is actually expected. I would stop using global swatches if you do not intend them to be such and take a look at Recolor art tool to replace the global colors.

I am probably not reading this correctly but it seems to me this is expected behavior and user error.

• 7. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                      MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Same problem here. Any copying and pasting between documents spreads this. Here is what I have tried so far that has not worked

1. Recovered the file using 'Content Recovery Mode = 1". Edited this in simpletext to remove all code that has "Deleted global colors" & the "Begin PluginObject: Object". There was lots of junk to remove and I got everything in between the open & close tags.
                      2. Saved files as AI3
                      3. Copied & Pasted all elements into a new document
                      4. Removed all unused Brushes, Swatches, Graphic Styles
                      5. Removed all layers & did a save as, the file is still 6mb with nothing in it.

In my situation, 1000s of brushes reappear in the library(see images below) after any copy/pasting. I also had "deleted global colors"(see images below) reappearing but that has gone away since I cleaned up the code. The problem must lie in in the non-standard characters. I also am getting the HUH error(see images below) when saving. I stopped getting the swatch conflict error(see images below) after pasting, after I cleaned up the code. The file though is still huge, slow and any copying is really slow. Can't load CS5 trial here at work(to try out that new cleanup command), but am on CS4 Mac.

Picture 2.pngPicture 1.pngdeleted Global Color.jpgHuh Error.jpg

• 8. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                        moluapple Level 4

I think I can fix it for you,if you can send me your file.

Also I can record a video to show which parts of codes you should delete.

moluapple@gmail.com

• 9. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4

Thanks, I was away last week, but sent you a file via you send it (since it was 5.5mb).

• 10. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4

I got a file back from the poster above an they removed the code in between the AI5 tags. Thankyou  so much for your helps, this so far appears to have fixed the problem.

What I have done is delete all lines between
                            "%AI5_Begin_NonPrinting
                            %AI5_End_NonPrinting--

• 11. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                              cherryberryhell Level 1

this problem still exists in CS5, just a note.

the "solutions" so far are for cleaning up a file AFTER you already get the thousands of additional colors. you may as well just select the unused colors and delete them within illustrator instead of getting into the code (the time spent waiting for that is shorter than going through thousands of lines of code). the solution needed is how not to get the unwanted colors at all WHEN pasting.

• 12. Re: Global Colors issue, in Adobe Illustrator CS 3/4
                                Harleywc Level 1

Yes, that's a pain. I managed to fix this by opening the files in CS3, saving it and opening in CS5 all gone.

Only the actual colors in the file remain even when repeatedly opening the file.

Hope this works for you.

Harley