11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 8:09 AM by JoyceEvans

Disjointed rollover question

Seabreak

I have a floor plan of a shopping center with 24 rollover buttons.  Each button has been sliced and linked to a frame (swap image) that shows the facade of a store.  All photos (24 in all) preside in the same location on the canvas.  Here is my problem,  when previewing, only ten of the buttons work.  No matter how I arrange and re-arrange behaviors, only ten buttons will link to the photos.  I have tried this several times and the result is the same. Does Fireworks place a limit on the number of disjointed rollovers?  I am using an older version (mx)...does anyone know if a later version fixed this?  Any help is certainly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Disjointed rollover question
          JoyceEvans Level 3

I've never run ito that but then I've not used that many images:-) If you can send your PNG, I'd be happy to test it on CS4

• 2. Re: Disjointed rollover question
            JoyceEvans Level 3

OK, I setup 24 buttons with 24 rollovers and they all worked fine.Please double check your buttons after 10 and see that the behavior is the same as the first 10. Also check that the link from the button to the slice is there. I'd be happy to check your file if  you'd like. The file is probably large so you can send directly if you'd like Joyce@JoyceJEvans.com

• 3. Re: Disjointed rollover question
              Seabreak Level 1

Thanks Joyce.  I am attaching a smaller practice file as the one I am working on is well over 5MB.  This file has the same issues.  Thanks again for your help.  Sounds like i may need to upgrade.

Bob

• 4. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                JoyceEvans Level 3

You have too many slices. Only 1 slice for the rollover area is allowed, then the images on separate Frames

• 5. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                  JoyceEvans Level 3

To elaborate: If you have a few larger images then make the slice larger.  For each view, work within the constraints of the slice. All they will see on rollover is what  you have on the swapped Frame. I don't believe it's an issue with MX:-)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                    Seabreak Level 1

Thanks Joyce,  I tried your method and you are absoultely correct.  I was applying a slice to every target image whereas just one slice to the target area was all I needed.  However; in my experiment using your correct method, when I get to ten swaps, funny things still happen. 

This is what I just did:  I imported fifteen button "triggers" and assigned a slice to each one.  I then created fifteen additional frames for the images.  After I imported the first image, I created a slice on that image and dragged the behavior handle from the first button to the image.  All was okay in the preview.  I then carefully imported the rest of the images and assigned them to the appropriate frame, making sure that each image was within the boundries of the original image (slice).  I then started to drag each behavior handle from the triggers to the target images, previewing the result after each swap.  Everything worked perfectly until I got to the ninth image.  Images that worked properly in previous previews started to dissapear.  Frame number eight dissapeared and when I went back to assign another image to the eighth frame,  that worked but frame number one dissappeared.  So I hit a ceiling again.  I think I did everything by the book and certainly appreciate your input if you find I am still not following the correct procedure.  I don't think I have a computer issue, as I am using a relatively new I-7 processor workstation.  Again, thanks for your time and help!

Bob

• 7. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                      JoyceEvans Level 3

Please send the file again so I can look at it  tomorrow

• 8. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                        Seabreak Level 1

Hi Joyce,

I spent some time playing with a practice file this morning and everthing seems to work okay now, so it was something I did wrong.  Thanks so much for your insight and advice.

I do have one more question.  On the attached file, which is the practice file I mentioned above, I want to form a second target to a trigger.  In my file, I inserted another slice and I linked the frame named SubLink Number 1 to trigger number 1.  My objective is to have the sublink L1 appear only when targeted image number 1 is triggered.  In the real world, this sublink would be either detailed pictures or text describing the original target scene when triggered.  When I proceeded to link Button number one to the sublink, it worked fine,  but it also appears when I pressed any of the other buttons...which is not a desirable event.  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bob

• 9. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                          JoyceEvans Level 3

P0retty cool, I never tried to add 2 targets before. If you doubleclick the trigger slice to edit, check the Restore inmouseout and you are all set.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                            Seabreak Level 1

Thanks again Joyce,

That works; however, is there a way to keep the link and also get the sub image to stick...rather than to restore on mouse out?  The reason for this is that I would like the sublink to be clickable.  ie: the sublink may be a thumbnail, or series of thumbnails that could be clicked to be enlarged.  I haven't found that possible to accomplish in MX.  Can it be done in CS4?  or do you think I need to find someone to add some code after this is moved to dreamweaver?

Thanks again,

Bob

• 11. Re: Disjointed rollover question
                              JoyceEvans Level 3

No, you can do it :-)

To make the area have clickable spots, use thw Hotspot tool over the slice and add link.

I did remove the Restore image but you'll need to add the second target to each trigger. Have a blank state or insert a new state for ones that need it