4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 12:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Seperate Audio Source When Capturing Video

vincentjamesphoto

I am using a DVcam to capture video and want to use a seperate device altogther to capture the audio track, Is this possible to setup in Premiere Elements? If so, how do i do this?  Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Seperate Audio Source When Capturing Video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean by "set up in Premiere Elements?"

If you're asking if you can use a separately recorded soundtrack for your video, certainly you can!

Premiere Elements has several tracks for audio and video. You simply put your video in place and remove any audio it has. (Right-click and select Delete Audio.)

Then place your separately recorded audio track on an audio track and sync it up with your video. (There's no magic formula for syncing up the audio and video. If you don't have some sort of visual/audio cue [like a clapper], you'll just have to do your best with trial and error.)

• 2. Re: Seperate Audio Source When Capturing Video
            vincentjamesphoto Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding. My question was in regards to the process of Capture. Perhaps a better way of asking this question is, can I capture two different devices/sources at the same time? One a video from a DV Cam and the other audio being fed from a mixer. It seems like it should be an easy thing to do, but i have not found the place wher eyou can tell the program there are two different sources.  Hope that is clearer.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Seperate Audio Source When Capturing Video
              vincentjamesphoto Level 1

OK, i re read your response Steve and I think what you are saying is that it is not possible to capture this way, but rather I have to align these two clips after the fact. Wow, i am suprised this is not supported. thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Seperate Audio Source When Capturing Video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Normally, one would feed the line-out from the mixer to an XLR connection on the camera, instead of relying on its mic. Then, a simple Capture would take care of this, and mux the Video & Audio into one file.

Now, and depending on the recorder used out of the mixer, this might be as simple as just copying over the second source Audio, and then Importing it into the Project and dragging it to the Timeline. It is easiest to sync up, if you have the Video and this additional Audio "slatted." It can be as simple as a hand clap all the way to a digital slate.

Be aware that the exact speed between many cameras and many recorders do not match 100%. A bit of testing might be necessary, and then the additional Audio file might need to adjusted a bit, say with Time Stretch. One user found that his supplemental Audio needed 104% Time Stretch to sync up perfectly.

What is the recorder type, make & model, for this supplemental Audio? If you also have a link to a Web site for that device, it might answer others' questions down the line.

Good luck,

Hunt