9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 12:53 PM by TimeRemapper

Output other than avi?

pityocamptes

I am working on a piece for a Youtube video and I see where Youtube (as far as i can tell) allows up to 2gig of video size. I'm not even half done with the composition (video), but if I render it at this point its around 1.2 gigs as an avi. First, is it possible to compress the video? Second, I see where Youtube suggests mpeg4 for outputs. Is this possible in AE, or what format is suggested for a Youtube video? Thanks again!!

• 1. Re: Output other than avi?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

After doing a quick bit of googling for "youtube upload specs", I found this page.

You'll get the most quality if you upload an uncompressed or lossleslly compressed file.

In one of your other threads, I posted a link to the "Render Queue". Check it out.

If you select the Quicktime Animation codec, and set the quality to best/full, you'll get a great looking file that will be smaller than an uncompressed .avi. That's one of the many great features of the Render Queue.

• 2. Re: Output other than avi?
            pityocamptes Level 1

Thanks!!!!!

OK, just to make sure I understand what is going on... I have my composition set to 29 FPS, I assume that I need to change this to 24FPS according to the link you posted? Also, I have the composition set up as a "web video" in AE which I think is like 320 x 240. Does that mean I have to change it to the 1920 x 1080? Little confused here. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Output other than avi?
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Also, I have the composition set up as a "web video" in AE which I think is like 320 x 240. Does that mean I have to change it to the 1920 x 1080? Little confused here. Thanks again!<

You do not want o use After Effects as your editor/assembler or your encoder. Those are possible to do in AE but they're hacks. Create your effects and compositing in AE, build your video in Premiere, create your encoded output in Media Encoder.

It's all in the manuals but, yes, it's confusing and complex and a bit difficult to grasp the first few dozen times you do these project.

bogeisan

• 4. Re: Output other than avi?
                TimeRemapper Level 4

Nope. If you're already working at that frame rate and that frame size, then stay there.

The big point here is to render to a high quality format (as mentioned) because youtube will be compressing the movie on their end.

Try to avoid degeneration (like, you know, cassette tapes...remember those?).

• 5. Re: Output other than avi?
                  pityocamptes Level 1

Ok, thanks again.

bogiesan: so you are saying that I compose and build the video in AE, using effects and other stuff that I want. Save the AE project, and import the AE project into Premiere? If so, what exactly do you mean by "build" the video in Premiere? Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Output other than avi?
                    pityocamptes Level 1

Ok, thanks TR. As a side what is the advantage or disadvantage of 24 FPS vs 29FPS, or one of the other options? I believe todays films are done at 24FPS. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll get this whole thing down one day

• 7. Re: Output other than avi?
                      bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Ah, I see. Your numerous other posts have provided the context.

AE is not an editing application, it is an effects environment. If you're not aware of the fundamental differences between encoders, editors, and motion graphics/compositors, I cannot explain them to you in these little posties. I will leave that to others.

I hope you enjoy learning After Effects and have fun with its remarkable capabilities.

bogiesan

• 8. Re: Output other than avi?
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

pityocamptes wrote:

Ok, thanks TR. As a side what is the advantage or disadvantage of 24 FPS vs 29FPS, or one of the other options? I believe todays films are done at 24FPS. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll get this whole thing down one day

Other than more temporal resolution, it's usually an aesthetic situation.

For some, even file size is a reason (1 second of video comprised of 24 frames will generally be smaller than 1 second of video comprised of 29.97 or 30).

Here's some reading you should do...

• 9. Re: Output other than avi?
                          pityocamptes Level 1

Thanks for your reponse. I am a little confused about the role of each. Do you know where I could find simplified information for noobs on what you have just described? Thanks again for all the help.