7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 2:41 AM by David_Powers

Macromedia MX 2004 (compatible with Snow Leopard?)

jrb061

Can anyone tell me if MX 2004 is compatable with MAC Snow Lepeard?  If there are any problems installing it (I can't seem to get the programs to start once installed) and if there is a fix?

[Subject edited for clarity by moderator]

• 1. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
          mhollis55 Level 4

I believe that the version Adobe has tested with Snow Leopard is CS4.

With respect to a six-year-old application and a brand new 64-bit operating system, you're on your own.

• 2. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The correct answer *might* be to forget it (I don't know), but just in case...

Can you post specific steps and symptoms so someone may have a chance of perhaps identifying a cause or offering a tip?

• 3. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
              jrb061 Level 1

I suspect you're right about forgetting it.  But just in case; the install is very slow and stops for extended periods of time, but eventually "sucessfully" installs.  When I click on, say the dreamweaver icon, the icon comes onto the bar at the bottom of the desktop and bounces for a while (maybe 10 to 15 bounces) and then stops.  The little light comes on under the icon, but only for a second and then goes out.  The application never loads.  Any other specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

• 4. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm afraid I'm still leaning toward the "forget it" camp. It goes without saying that there will be no fix. If it works, it works. If not, CS4 is your best option.

Perhaps try installing the CS4 Trial and see the difference.

• 5. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
                  brightbelt Level 1

If you're really stuck in a tight spot, you could try the 'Crossover Mac' program which allows Windows-oriented programs to run on a Mac.

This of course depends upon what version you've got on MM MX 2004, but if my memory serves, that release was Cross-platform.

Crossover Mac isn't very expensive -they are at  www.codeweavers.com

IF you had other uses for Crossover, this could be a good investment. The Crossover program often runs older programs *Better* than new ones. This is why I thought I'd mention it. And I will put in a disclaimer: there is no guarantee Crossover will run your program if it's not on their fully supported software list.

But they encourage trying to install any windows-oriented programs - I've been often pleasantly surprised a lot by it.

Frank B.

• 6. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
                    osgood_ Level 8

MX 2004 never worked on OS 10.4 which I think is Tiger so if it works on Snow Leopard then its most probably purely by luck.

• 7. Re: Macromedia MX 2004
                      David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

brightbelt wrote:

If you're really stuck in a tight spot, you could try the 'Crossover Mac' program which allows Windows-oriented programs to run on a Mac.

This of course depends upon what version you've got on MM MX 2004, but if my memory serves, that release was Cross-platform.

No such thing. Older versions of Dreamweaver did come on a Win/Mac dual disk, but the programs were different. So was the serial number. You cannot use a Mac serial number to run the Windows version and vice versa.