6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 3:24 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?

EmPag Level 1

I am using Illustrator to design screens for a computer interactive. The screen I am designing for is 1366x768 pixels and 22.677 x 12.756 inches, making the final screen resolution about 60 pixels per inch. Is there a way I can set up my Illustrator doc so it will be the correct "size" in inches AND pixels? Reason being, I would like to be able to use the pixel preview mode and see an accurate display of what my illustrations will look like in pixels and also be able to print out the screens at actual size to get an idea of how big things will be and test usability.

It seems like the best option is to set the correct pixel size and scale up by 120% when I print. I don't see a way to work at the correct size in inches and set the ppi at 60.

I know that the best way to do this would be to view stuff on the actual monitor, but I don't have it yet, and my cinema disply is not big enough.

Also- is there an easy way to control the zoom setting so I can see the illustrations at "actual size (inches)" on my cinema display. When I use the actual size view, it displays too small, since I am assuming my cinema display has a higher ppi setting than my final output device. I can guesstimate, but it would be great to have an easy way to snap back and forth.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Emily,

Is there a way I can set up my Illustrator doc so it will be the correct "size" in inches AND pixels?

The long answer is no.

It seems like the best option is to set the correct pixel size and scale up by 120% when I print. I don't see a way to work at the correct size in inches and set the ppi at 60.

True.

Also- is there an easy way to control the zoom setting so I can see the illustrations at "actual size (inches)" on my cinema display.

You will have to use the Zoom setting (display resolution)/72*100% (96 PPI would yield (just over) 133%).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?
            shunithD Level 3

From what i can gather,your final output is screen... right? If so, why not just stick to the pixel part? Where and how do inches become important? Printing out will never match screen. There are so many variables...

For instance, Windows, screen resolution default to 96 pixel per inch... but this can be reset up or down. So, as long as you get a reasonable approximation, isn't that good enough?

• 3. Re: AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?
              EmPag Level 1

Thanks.

How do I set the Zoom Setting/Display resolution? Is this something that I do in AI with the navigator panel? Or are you suggesting I change my display resolution in the OS system preferences menu?

• 4. Re: AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?
                EmPag Level 1

Yes, my final output is a single screen. Unlike a project that would be displayed on many different types of screens at

different sizes, my project is being designed for a specific screen. It will only exist as a single computer kiosk interective. I know the size and resolution of the output screen.

I do have my document set up in pixels, and that is how I am working. It is just annoying to always be doing the math, if I want to make a shape a certain size in inches for example. I also print the screens out for meetings and we make notes on them. It is annoying to have to scale up for printing out at actual size. Or course we will test on the screen itself when we get it. But we also have a need to print out on paper as we go.

• 5. Re: AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Emily,

I believe the simplest is also the best here.

I would suggest your simply setting the Artboard to 1366x768 px (I use pt, but the way it works they are set to the same size). I believe you may do that by DoubleClicking the Artboard Tool (I am still with 10), but you should also be able to do it with File>Document Setup>Artboard, and then in Size choose Custom and set the values.

That should ensure that what you see within the Artboard will fill the screen. And then you may use whichever Zoom level(s) fit(s) the need for detail/overview.

• 6. Re: AI CS4 - Correct Document Setup for Accurately Displaying for Screen Output?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You might also wan to look t the File>New dialog or the welcome screen and select Video or film as the document type and entering your document size.

You may not be comfortable using this choice but on the other hand it might suit you.

It already has the color space set to rgb.

Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 6.18.12 PM.png