19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 8:32 AM by the_wine_snob

CPU maxed out adding video clip

Vacitus

I installed Win7 32 bit (and updated fully according to MS specs) on an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop so I'd have a clean environment to run PE8 on.  It has 2GB RAM and plenty of HD storage.  The processor is an AMD Turion 64 bit.  I'm running 32 bit Windows to avoid thunking with the 32 bit PE8 software.  I was hoping to eliminate performance issues. 

I have a short intro video (high def, about 20 seconds) that others on my team have used as a bumper with this software.  When I initially loaded it into a project from a local HD folder (Get Media..), the CPU maxed out and the program never recovered.  When I stopped and restarted the program, the media was in the "Media" page.

So, I tried dragging it onto the TImeline.  Again, the CPU maxed out and the program never recovered.  I have tried this several times, after reboot, after eliminating unnecessary services and startup apps.  No help, obviously.

The PC has an ATI video processor.

I sure would appreciate some troubleshooting assistance.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>short intro video (high def, about 20 seconds)

What CODEC in that file?

Just saying high def could be any number of codec formats... and not all of them edit equally well

• 2. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Greg,

Can you give the full specs. on the AMD? There are several in that Turon 64 family.

Also, can you get the specs. on the source footage Clip? G-Spot will give you all of that info.

Some source files can exact a very heavy toll on a CPU. AVCHD is one such file format. To edit that, one needs a minimum of a Quad-core, and the faster the better. Some strongly suggest that a fast i7 is the minimum to edit it smoothly.

Also, please list your I/O sub-system's specs., i.e. your HDD's, their speed, controller type and how allocated.

Knowing the settings on your Virtual Memory (Page File) would be useful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
              nealeh Level 5

Vacitus wrote:

I installed Win7 32 bit (and updated fully according to MS specs)

You don't want to rely on Windows update for driver updates. Start at the Acer site and see what updates they have for your PC. Then check out the manufacturers web sites to see what their latest driver version is.

As a minimum update your sound and graphics drivers. If you have money available increase your ram from 2GB to 4GB.

Also check the FAQ's and Tips part of this forum about optimising video editing sessions.

If none of this helps then post back here including as much detail as you can about this test video clip (especially it's format) and full specs for youe Acer.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the FAQ articles, this ARTICLE might give you some additional tips on optimizing your computer and setting it up for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                  Vacitus Level 1

Per G-Spot, Codec is WMV3.  Name = WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main).

• 6. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

WMV is a heavily-compressed streaming delivery format. It takes a lot of horsepower to decode and work with. PrE can handle many flavors of WMV's, but they will tax one's system. The computer and the software, must decode the file, then internally construct full I-Frame footage from that, so that one can edit at a Frame-level.

My first recommendation would be to convert this WMV to DV-AVI Type II, outside of PrE. I use DigitalMedia Converter for this, but it is shareware. Two freeware converters, that get high marks here are Prism and Super. I have used neither, as DMC has worked for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                      Vacitus Level 1

Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-40 2.2 Ghz

File Type: ASF (.WMA/.WMV)
                      Mime Type: video/x-ms-asf
                      File Length Correct
                      Sys Bitrate: 1707 kb/s
                      Created:  2009 Oct 05   05:29:29

Vid:DeviceConformanceTemplate:MP@ML
                      Aud:DeviceConformanceTemplate:L3
                      Vid:Windows Media Video 9
                      Vid:Professional
                      Aud:Windows Media Audio 9.2
                      Aud:192 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR

Audio codec: 0x0161 (WMA v2), 0x02:48000Hz  192 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

Video Codec: WMV3, WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main)

HDD: ST9120821A ATA drive.  Laptop - I don't know the controller.  It rates 4.5 on the Windows 7 experience index.  100% allocated to Windows.

Virtual Memory is 2046MB for the one drive.

• 8. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

HERE'S a little story about my editing WMV's natively.

Hope that this points up the possible problems,

Hunt

• 9. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                          nealeh Level 5

Vacitus wrote:

Per G-Spot, Codec is WMV3.  Name = WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main).

Windows Movie Maker (WMM) 2.6 can convert a WMV to DV-AVI.

1. Add the clip to WMM collection
                          2. Put the clip into the timeline
                          3. File> Save Movie File
                          4. My Computer
                          5. Name file and folder
                          6. Show more choices
                          7. Other Settings DV-AVI

This does not work with the Live Essentials version of Movie Maker.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                            Vacitus Level 1

Hi folks.  Just adding another data point here - I do plan to go ahead with your suggestion to convert the WMV.

I loaded up PE8 on my Mac Pro - booting to Win7.  This machine has 7GB ram and a 4 core Intel Xeon W3520 processor running at 2.67 GHz.

This time when I load up the WMV file, the system goes to 13% CPU and consumes 331mb RAM.  PE8 reports that it's conforming the file and has been sitting at 0% for about 30 minutes now.

Thanks,

Greg

• 11. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the sample rate and the bit-depth of the Audio in the WMV? Things will go much better, if the Audio is 48KHz 16-bit. If things are good with the source file, Conforming on that machine should be very quick.

[Edit]

OK, looking back up-thread, it appears to be 48KHz, but is WMA. PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) would be better. I wonder if all of the WMV/WMA MS CODEC's are installed on your Mac. With Vista, MS discontinued installing many, and issued a Vista CODEC pack so that the user could install those. Do not know what MS is doing with Win7. Might be worth a look on the MS site, to see if there is a Win7 CODEC pack available.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 12. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                Vacitus Level 1

I sure do appreciate all the assistance, Bill.

I don't know about the Codec's on the MAC.  I found "Windows Media Components for QuickTime" on the MS download site that I'll download and apply when I get home tonight.

Now that I'm back at work, I'll give that a try as well on this Acer laptop as well, just for fun.

Thanks,

Greg

That update is for a MAC computer - for folks that want to play WMV/WMA natively in Quicktime.  I haven't come across anything at all when I look for Codecs for Windows 7 on the MS site.  I did find a site called Windows7Codecs.com.  I'm a little leery of installing it.  But...I did create this laptop for the express purpose of working with the video.

• 13. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I did find a site called Windows7Codecs.com.  I'm a little leery of installing it.

I am with you on not installing any CODEC's that I do not need specifically. I shy away from any CODEC "packs," but would make an exception for the Vista CODEC Pack from MS, if I needed it. IIRC, it was the lower-end versions of Vista that did not have the CODEC's, but I never had Vista, so my memory could be faulty.

For needed CODEC's, I also try to go to the source for each one, when I need it. If it means paying US$50, so be it. Now, some of the sources are free, but given the option of some free version vs, say MainConcept, or Lead, I'd rather pay. This THREAD from the Encore forum will put a chill up your spine.

Good luck, and please report on CODEC's in Win7, when you nail down the issue. Others will benefit later on.

Hunt

• 14. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                    Goh Ching

Why Adobe doesn't have a mac version of AP Elements ?

• 15. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

My guess would be that Adobe has conceded the entry-level video editing spot to iMovie and Final Cut Express, already on the Mac. Also, the user-base for all Mac's would only be about 5% of that for PC's. They probably did the numbers, and decided that the market would just be too small to make it profitable.

Now, they went the other way, with PrPro. Again, just a guess, but as it, and Encore (the authoring program included) are so very often part of a full suite of programs, including Photoshop, Illustrator and AfterEffects, all of which are installed already on many Mac's, they were ready to face competition from Final Cut Pro, assuming that enough users would pass on FCP to be able to use PrPro as part of the suite with the interlinked workflow.

Remember, those are just guesses on my part.

Hunt

• 16. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                        Goh Ching Level 1

Hi Bill

I guess you are right. For me, as a non-professional comsumer, Pre Ele is much easier and convenient than AP Pro which give you too much choices and controls. But the point is I don't know which setting is correct. ( I use to edit AVCHD 1080i, 25f/s footage).My Window 7 (32bit) can't run AP Ele (tryout). iMove, on the other hand, can only output 720i. That means it dowgrades my original footage. Mac OS is more stable and reliable, I think. But AP Pro is too expensive for me. What should i do ? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor,

Ching

• 17. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ching,

There are two lower-priced options, that I know of for the Mac: iMovie (included free on many Mac's) and Final Cut Express. FCE is the Mac version of PrE, while FCP is equal to PrPro. I do not know FCE, and really do not know FCP, so I cannot help you define what the differences are. Just a guess on my part would be that the comparison would be similar to PrE and PrPro, but I could be very wrong.

Wish that I knew the Mac editing programs better, but I have never used any of them.

Good luck, and maybe Steve Grisetti, our MOD and a prolific contributor here, can comment. He has Mac's and PC's, and has edited on each platform. Also, you can post your question on Muvipix, in the Communities section. There are folk there, using all sorts of editors, and on different platforms. Someone there can give you complete details. Steve G. also posts there, as well.

Hunt

• 18. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                            Goh Ching Level 1

Thanks a lot Bill !

Ching

• 19. Re: CPU maxed out adding video clip
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome.

Happy editing,

Hunt