3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 10:36 AM by pityocamptes

Proper procedure and flow of project?

pityocamptes

I'm new to AE and the Adobe Suite in general. I noticed on one of my posts (noob to the whole CS4 thing) that a poster indicated that AE should not be used to build the entire project. I will describe my project to the best of my ability, what it is I am doing and hopefully someone can chime in, as to what the proper procedure should be with what I have (ie going between premiere, and AE, etc.).

My first composition will get put on Youtube, so its only about 5 minutes long.

Here is a break down of my composition:

1. opening image that was created in photo shop - no effects (no sound at this point)

2. nine seperate images of the numbers 9 - 1 using a film effect of blur, noise, etc. - number sequences are all 1 second long and provide a 9-1 countdown before the video starts.

3. Here is where the music starts - mp3.

4. Approximately 20 slides with text and a film effect applied that renders each slide to that old film look (each slide is ~5 - 10 seconds long)

5. Approximately 15 slides with images - no effects (each slide is ~7 seconds long)

6. Approximately 2 slides with text and film effect applied that renders each slide to that old film look (each slide is ~5 - 10 seconds long)

7. Approximately 48 images (no effects applied) that produce an exponential time duration decrease over approx 50 seconds.

8. music ends.

9. short imported avi video that runs for about 25 seconds.

10. approximately 2 slides with no effects (each slide is ~5-10 seconds long)

11. END OF COMPOSITION

The question I have is what parts are done where and how would I go about doing it? A general over view would be appreciated, as I can look further into things. Thanks again!

• 1. Re: Proper procedure and flow of project?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Depending on what you mean by your "film effect," this entire thing should be built in Premiere. If therre are any effects or transitions that you cannot do in Premiere (you've described none that I see) then you take those elements to After Effects.

Most effects are available form within Premiere.

It's possible to build a "film effect" video clip in After Effects that is used as an overlay in Premiere, apply it to only the items you need affected. You don't need to apply the "film effect" to each individual item.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Proper procedure and flow of project?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're animating your photograph position then I'd go for After Effects. If you're just creating a slide show with something like dissolve transitions then I'd do it in Premiere Pro or Final Cut.

The term "Film Effect" has no real meaning to me. It's just too general. Some film is contrasty, some grainy, some over exposed, some scratched. A little more concise description of what you mean by Film Effect would be helpful.

• 3. Re: Proper procedure and flow of project?
              pityocamptes Level 1

Thanks! The effects that I would be using would only be on half of the slides and they are from the third party pluggin Digieffects. Will that make a difference on making it in Premiere, or will I need to import into AE? Thanks again for the assistance!!!