30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 8:54 PM by Paul787

PE 8 crashes when burning a disc

Ruth4225 Level 1

I have a new HP PC that meets all of the hardware requirements to run PE8. I have successfully developed one 20 minute video

with titles, transisitions and music. I recently used InstantMovie to develop a 2 minute video which includes both stills and video.  I used a

song from ITUNES.  The problem is I can not burn a disc.  PE crashes while encoding media.  Looks like it crashes at the same spot every time - 14% Into encoding media.   I tried un-installing and reinstalling PE8.  and using a WMA music file instead of a song from Itunes.  Nothing seems to work.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
          Paul787 Level 3

Ruth, what type of video files are your using in your project? And have you resized your stills? If it's a standard definition project your still photos should be approx. 1000 x 750, otherwise Premiere Elements may choke and crash in converting them. Lastly, you can try and burn your project to folder first, instead of direct to DVD, and then use Nero or another burning program burn the actual DVD.

• 2. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
            nealeh Level 5

Ruth4225 wrote:

I have a new HP PC

That almost certainly means that almost all your drivers are of date (as manufacturers create a master disk that can then be cloned for new systems these are always going as old as when that master disk was created). Also what HP model is it?

Go to both HP and the manufacturers' web sites and download and install the most recent driver and firmware updates - especially for graphics and sound.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I utilize the tips in this ARTICLE to set up my computer, and to get it ready for an editing, or authoring session. Most computers have tons of unnecessary programs & Processes, that load at boot up. New computers are usually loaded with bloatware, and older computers have all sorts of "helper" apps. and similar, that get added over time. Most are unnecessary.

Also, the answers to the questions posed by others, might give a clue as to what is happening, and how to fix it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, looking at your Timeline, what are the Assets at 05;36;00? Since PrE uses a 2-Pass Transcode, 14% is approximately at the 28% mark. When it reaches 50%, the first pass is complete, and 100% is the complete Transcoding process.

That would be the first place to look. You will need to be in Timecode View Mode. It might be useful to zoom in a bit, and maybe also increase your vertical zoom (click-drag) on the boundaries of the Audio & Video Tracks, so that we can see things clearly, and then post a screen-cap of the Timeline. Hint: you can use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the forum editing screen's Toolbar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                  Ruth4225 Level 1

Does this help?  The video is 3:12 minutes long. The 28% mark should be around 53 seconds.  I can't see anything out of the ordinary.

I have downloads Nvidia 196.1 driver.   attached the entire project below.  I appreicate your help.

Capture1.PNG

• 6. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                    Bernard_Smeets Level 1

Hi Ruth

I briefly looked at the project file. It seems that the crash occurs in the mpeg file. I had a similar problem wprocessing a project with mpeg files some time ago in PRE8. The "funny" thing was that when I repeated this with PRE3 it worked fine. As far as I could analyze the root cause of the problem seem to be the audio track of in my mpeg which the PRE8 seems to dislike but PRE3 had no problems with. To make things work under PRE8 I first converted the mpeg file to DV avi files that PRE normally works on. You just create a seperate project, import the mpeg file, and then use share to convert it. After that you import this avi file into your project instead of the mpeg file. My experience is the PRE8 is somewhat buggy or if one is nice: inconsequent. Also the error reporting is rather poor. It works perfect when it works but PRE8 is fragile.

Finally I remark the Nvidia drivers that HP distributes via their support pages for your machine are usually older versions than available via Nvidia, this is the case for all HP machines (4) that I have. If I have driver problems with my graphics card I pick the ones from the card manufacturer.

Good luck

/Ben

• 7. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Good work. I was at the disadvantage of not having PrE 8, so the PREL won't Open for my PrE 4 version. (Have not tried it in PrPro 2.0, which can Open .PREL's, but then I've not tried with PrE 8.)

Ruth,

Before you try Ben's suggestion (a good one, I might add), please download and install the free utility, G-Spot. Run that MPEG through G-Spot, and then post the screen-cap of the details of that file. There could well be something simple, that will get PrE 8 "over the hump." Especially with muxed MPEG Audio, Adobe programs (PrE, PrPro and Encore) often have problems. There can also be other issues with MPEG files, but that is a common spot to look. Might be as simple as just replacing the MPEG Audio portion of that Clip with a converted PCM/WAV file.

Now, Ben's advice is very sound. I convert any/all MPEG footage to DV-AVI (I only work in SD for now) for work in my NLE programs. I am certain that some would probably work fine, but my workflow is set. I've found that whenever I deviate from that workflow, I get into problems. That re-enforces why I adopted my workflow so long ago. I just posted a little "story" about Importing and working with WMV files, breaking from my workflow - and the problems that I encountered. I knew better, but got lazy, rushed and paid the price.

In my case, I use a conversion program, that offers batch conversion, just load it up, check my settings, and launch it. After a cup, or two, of coffee, I have my DV-AVI's w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio files ready for Import and editing. It works perfectly all of the time. The problems disappear, and editing is smooth, as is the authoring process. Note: if one is working with HD material, the workflow would be different to accommodate that.

Also, do you have other MPEG Assets in your Timeline? Might be interesting to see how they show in G-Spot.

Good luck, and thank you for posting your screen-cap and PREL. Also, thanks to Ben for doing the detective work.

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ruth,

I forgot to second Ben's comments on the Audio and Video drivers. Unless these are proprietary to HP, do go to the mfgr's Web site. These will almost always be a couple of months newer, than those from the computer company's site.

Sorry, but I got sidetracked on the MPEG and just forgot - he makes another very good point.

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                          Bernard_Smeets Level 1

Hi Bill

You can analyse the project file by just renaming it to an xml file and open it in a decent xml editor to see structure and data.  If I just open the project file with PRE8 it starts to squeak for all the missing original and rendered files which is annoying. Without Ruth's screendump of the project it would have been impossible to say anything.

Thanks for reminding that what I wrote does not apply to HD material. The worflow for that material is indeed another story.

BR

/Ben

• 10. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Yes, a PREL (or a PRPROJ for PrPro) file will also Open directly in WordPad, if one just changes the extension from RTF to Show All. That saves renaming. You are correct. It is but an XML database with links and instructions inside.

What I would have liked to do was Open the Project file in PrE (yes, all Assets will be Off Line), but look more closely at it, Off Line media and all, in the Timeline. [Since PrPro will Import .PREL's, but not the other way, I'd like to see if PrPro 2.0 will Open a PrE 8 Project. I have had few problems doing that with PrE 4 Projects, but have never tried with a PrE 8 Project. If I can do that, I can get the look I wanted, and will report on what PrPro 2.0 says to me.]

Thanks,

Hunt

[Edit] No, PrPro 2.0 will NOT Open a PREL created in PrE 8 - just a crash, though it did try. I love when one tries to go the other way, trying to Open a PrPro Project in PrE. The message reads something like this, "Fool. That Project was created in PrPro and NOT in PrE. You'd go out and spend the big $'s to get a copy of PrPro, if you want to Open that file. Fool" or something like that... I can imagine that message being spoken by the actor, Mr. T.

• 11. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                              Ruth4225 Level 1

I havetried several things, none of which have been successful.  My sense is that the problem lies with the WMA Music file.  I bought a song from Itunes, burned it to a CD, then ripped it back to my computer and used the Get Media fuction to navigate to the file location on my hard drive.  When I open PE8 I am now prompted to provide the location of the WMA file.  I don't think tis has happened before.  I fell like I am making progress, but am not quite there yet.  I will read up on transferring music from ITunes.  I am not selling this video, I really don't think I am violating copyright laws.  I don't understand (or maybe I do) understand why this has to be so hard.  Thank you for your help!

• 12. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                Ruth4225 Level 1

I hope I have follwed your instructions correctly.  This doesn't mean much to me.  Does it matter where the WMA file is stored on my hard drive?

As always, I appreciate your help.

GSPOT RESULTS.PNG

• 14. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Your workflow with the iTunes music is close to what I suggest. From the CD (music is in CDA format), I suggest ripping to a PCM/WAV (uncompressed), and not to WMA. The music is 44.1KHz, when you rip it, but I suggest that when you Save your WAV, you resample it to 48KHz @ 16-bit. These are the specs. of music for DVD, so let your audio-editing software do this, at the time that you do your Save (you're doing that anyway), to save PrE having to do this conversion. WMA is a little different than WAV (uncompressed), and can contain a whole lot more, like 6 audio streams for 5.1 SS. I like to keep things very simple and to give my NLE program things on the most elemental level - simple to process. Especially when I am doing external processing (the ripping of the CDA in this case), I shoot for the exact formats and specs. that my NLE will love. My motto is if I keep it happy, it will make me happy.

I'm not an intellectual properties attorney, and the last media law class I took was in about 1976, so I will not comment on that aspect. I also believe that most of the applicable laws are online somewhere with the "fair use," and similar, being discussed and defined. Do not be surprised if you end up getting many differing opinions in any forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It is just before this point, that I would change two settings in the audio ripping software. When you go to Save, change 44.1KHz to 48KHz, and make sure to set the format/CODEC to PCM/WAV, which will be "uncompressed" in the CODEC area (will depend on exactly which ripping/editing program you are using). WMA can be compressed at several levels, and most can require more work by PrE. The same for the 44.1KHz sample rate. PrE can do the conversion, as it handles 44.1KHz source material, but you save a bit of work for it, by feeding it material already in 48KHz sample rate. Just a bit less work for it to do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                      Ruth4225 Level 1

Okay...I will admit I am an amateur (if you haven't figured that out already.) I have to ask...what is an NLE program?

Also, I am usingWindows Media Player to rip my CD.  IS there another program you would suggest?  I a not sure how I rip to a PCM/WAV format, but I will try to figure it out.  I have learned a great deal and I do appreciae the help.  thanks.

• 17. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        I have to ask...what is an NLE program?

Sorry about that. NLE = Non Linear Editor, like PrE, or PrPro.

I've never used WMP (Windows Media Player) for ripping. I use Adobe Audition, but the freeware audio-editor, Audacity, will do it for you. This is a general comment, but I find that MS programs tend to be very limited in what they can do, and the formats available. Many like WMM (Windows Movie Maker) for certain tasks, but it only will allow one to Export to DV-AVI Type I, and there are both limitations in that format and they often exhibit OOS (Out Of Sync) issues in an NLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                          Paul787 Level 3
                                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Ruth4225 wrote:

I bought a song from Itunes, burned it to a CD, then ripped it back to my computer and used the Get Media fuction to navigate to the file location on my hard drive.  When I open PE8 I am now prompted to provide the location of the WMA file. 

Adobe has a short article on iTunes songs imported into PRE:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401494.html

In Windows Media Player, also go to Rip-->More Options-->Rip Music and make sure the Copy protect music box is unchecked. Since then my iTunes songs have worked fine in my projects.

• 19. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

It sounds like you are using the same exact workflow and formats for ripping an iTunes CD. Obviously, you have been doing this successfully. I was recommending on doing the ripping in Audacity to PCM/WAV, but if you are doing the exact same, as the OP, maybe you can shed some light on the OP's workflow. I just do everything the same way all of the time, and that workflow always works. I use WMA's, but for a totally different task - going to DTS Audio files for supplemental Audio streams on DVD-Videos.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                              nealeh Level 5

Ruth4225 wrote:

I havetried several things, none of which have been successful.  My sense is that the problem lies with the WMA Music file.  I bought a song from Itunes, burned it to a CD, then ripped it back to my computer

Exact Audio Copy is, in my view at least, the very best software for an accurate straight forward rip to wav.

eac1.jpg

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale
                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 21. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                Ruth4225 Level 1

Good morning.  I am thinking I may have had an "AH..HA" moment".  

Yesterday I ripped a new music file that was a 48Khz WAV file using Audacity 1.3 Beta (unicode) and GSpot.  Then used the "get media' function of PE8 to import in into my project and burn a disc.  PE8 hangs at the 14% point no matter what I do.

Today,  I deleted the WAV file completely from the project, the organizer and even emptied the trash can, then tried to burn a disc of just the project, without music.  PE8 hangs at the 14% point just like before.  Can  I conclude from this experiment that the problem is not with the musc file, but there is something else going on instead?  

Am I correct in locating the assets at the 14% mark.  If the project is 3:13 minutes long...14% is acually 28% into the project

(3 * 60 + 12)*.28 = 53.76.  So there may be a problem between the 53 and 54 second marker in the project.

I was going to try to select another music file that I have used successfully on a previous project.  I realize this is an avoidance technique, but I am running out of options.

The song is from an album produced in 2002. I can't believe the security management for this album would be drastically different from other recordings I have used successfully.

• 22. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                  Paul787 Level 3

Doesn't appear to be a problem with the iTunes song then. Did you try the converions of the .mpg files into DV-AVI files ruth? It's a bit of a nuisance to do, but often fixes a bunch of issues. And what type of camera/camcorder are the files coming from?

• 23. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ruth,

Good detective work. It appears that the WAV file is not the culprit.

Now, regarding the point at which you need to look for a "suspect," one must realize that PrE uses a 2-Pass Transcoding. This means that 100% is actually 100% of your Timeline - twice. When the progress dialog shows 50%, that is the first Pass in the Transcoding. Looking at it another way, 100% of the operation will equal 200% of your Timeline (2 Passes, each of 100%). For it to hang at 14% of the total (200%), that would be approximately 28% of your Timeline. That is where I would start looking. If one is using a program that allows one to set the number of Passes, then a 1-Pass Transcode would reflect the %, based on 100% of the Timeline - no math involved.

Now, PrPro has one neat feature. One can display More Options for the Export progress screen, and the Frame Count will display, as each Frame is Transcoded. This goes by very quickly, so when tracking down the exact Frame, I just set up my video camera, focused on that expanded progress screen. I just tape it, and then run back the tape, Pausing on the last Frame of the tape, with the Transcoded Frame showing. That is where I start.

The things to look for are:

1.) gaps in the Video Clips. These can cause problems, even if they are but 1 Frame. I use a combined method to find these. First, I zoom in to the max, and look. This will often reveal a gap. If not, I use the PageUp/PageDn keys to step through the Clips. These should produce a linear "flow" from Clip to Clip. If the CTI seems to "judder," or "hiccup," it usually means that there is a tiny gap. There are different ways to close the gaps, and the exact method will depend on the footage in the Clips, how they have been Trimmed, or what comes before, or after the gap.

2.) Effects applied.

3.) Transitions applied.

4.) the Clips themselves.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                      Ruth4225 Level 1

Just to keep you updated....I have not been successful in burning a CD from ANY project I made using the InstantMovie Pan and Zoom template.  I have tried several options, with a WAV, or WMA music file, without music.  I dosen't seem to make a difference if I try to down load the project as one clip or break it apart.

I have uninstalled and re-installed both PRE8 discs several times.

For the InstandMovies I created, I didn't edit anything other than to add a soundtrack.  I can not burn a copy to my PC either.  I do not get an error message, PRE8 just crashes.

Tonight I am going to try to manually re-create my projetc so that it looks like the original InstantMovie but is not...an see if I can download that project

I am running out of ideas.  I will search for similar issues on the Forum.

Thank you for your help

• 25. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                        Ruth4225 Level 1

When I typed CD, I meant DVD.  I am using DVD-R discs.  I think the brand may be Sony.  PRE8 crashes while encoding media.  For the original project, it was 14% into encoding, always at the same spot.

Would the brand of disc have anything to do with this?

I have been successful in burning a DVD of projects I made (without using InstantMovie) in PRE8 with the Sony brand DVD-R discs.

thanks.

• 26. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                          Ruth4225 Level 1

One more question....What does CTI stand for?   thanks.

• 27. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ruth,

Let's start with the easy one first: CTI = Current Time Indicator. It is the little icon w/ the red Edit Line attached. It will move, as you playback, or one can move it by clicking on the Timeline Ruler, or dragging it. One can also enter a position in the TimeCode box (think this works in PrE?)

Now, I have to admit that I have never used InstantMovie (or the Themes), so I have no clue as to what works, or what could keep this from working.

When Transcoding fails, it is usually because of a bad Asset at that point, or a gap in the Video. I always check for gaps, by zooming in on my Timeline and then stepping though with the PageUp/PageDn keys, watching the movement of the CTI. It should jump from Clip to Clip in a linear fashion. If it seems to "hiccup," or "judder" between Clips, there is likely a gap. How one handles the gap will depend on a lot of factors, such as Handles on the nearly adjacent Clips. Often, gaps will yield a "Failure to Return Frame" error, but not always.

Now, blank DVD brands can cause problems BUT - there is usually an error message associated with blank media problems. I guess that the media could be a problem without an error, but the errors almost ALWAYS follow. There are several, but they usually indicate a problem with the burner, or the media. SenseCode errors are common with these problems. I have never used Sony media, but do not recall any problems with them, such as people always report with Memorex, TDK, recent Riteks and most "store brands." Just do not know, but do not recall others having issues with them.

The easiest way to test whether the problem is with the blank media is to Burn to Folder, but I think that your Project has failed at this too. Is that correct?

Sorry that I know nothing of InstantMovie, but think that many here have used it in various versions. I hope that they can be of help to you. I cannot even test for you, as I do not have PrE 8.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                              Ruth4225 Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I did check for gaps and didn't see anything, even when I enlarged to the max.  I will keep trying.  There has to ab an explanation, (other than the software just doens't work as advertised.)   I will let you know what I come up with after I have re-created the project manually.

• 29. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

IIRC, your Transcoding failed at the 14% mark. With the 2-Pass Transcoding used, that should be at approximately 28% of your Timeline's Duration. What exactly appears there? You have probably already listed that, but my memory is rather scattered right now.

If I encountered a Transcoding failure at the same exact point, I would pour over everything around that point, as something there has to be causing the issue. Now, that does not mean that if one corrected things there, that it would not fail further along at another point, but one could repeat the detective work again - and maybe again.

Good luck, and hope that you find the culprit, whether a gap that is not seen (one Frame can be enough), or maybe an MP3 that needs to be converted to a WAV, or perhaps an Effect that is getting in the way.

Hunt

• 30. Re: PE 8 crashes when burning a disc
                                                                  Paul787 Level 3

Ruth, did you try the step of converting the MPEG's into DV-AVI files?