4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 12:16 PM by the_wine_snob

How can I create a data file?

zjimbo Level 1

I'm back. I found the CFA & PEF files and I am getting ready to go to work and delete all these on all my drives.

What I need to know now is how to create a data only file on a DVD for back up.  I have successfully burnt a DVD in Encore, but I do not want to use that as a back up

I feel like it would be degraded somewhat. Besides it is an Encore file.

What I want is a Premiere file from CS4. This way I can always go back to it and make any changes or edits in the original time-line.

If I can do this I was planning on using a DVD-RW so I could make changes later on.

I also want to make a transfer DVD to install my projects on another computer. This will be a Video only computer with no internet connection to mess with my OS and slow things down.

Thanks Again

• 1. Re: How can I create a data file?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Download the free burning utility, ImgBurn. It will allow you to copy files for a DVD-Data. Just point it to the folder, folders or files, and then burn. Be careful as there are tons of ads on the page. You want the freeware, ImgBurn.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How can I create a data file?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Projects, the trick will be the Asset files. If they will fit onto DVD DL discs, you're OK. If they are too large (DV-AVI is ~ 13GB per hour), then you'll need some type of backup, or spanning software, that will write files across multiple discs. A better choice, IMO, would be a 1 - 2 TB external, where you can use Project Manager, or just Windows Explorer and Copy, to do the entire Project folder with Assets. I'd recommend against a USB and go at least for FW-400. FW-800 would be better, but you'll need FW-800 connections on your computer. eSATA would be the best, but then you'll need eSATA connectors.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How can I create a data file?
              zjimbo Level 1

I have two eSATA connections on the back of my computer. So all (I say "all" like money grows on trees) all I need to do is buy a eSATA external HD and I am fixed.

I use tha teSATA to down load to other computers as well.

Thanks

• 4. Re: How can I create a data file?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You're good to go!

Now, if you are using the eSATA externals to transport Projects between computers, remember to set the drive letter to the same in the OS of each computer. I stared with Z:\ and worked backward. Each external is marked with a removable label with that drive letter, and a rough outline of what's on it.

Good luck,

Hunt