18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2011 1:34 AM by Cal Naughton Jr.

1080p Video - Is it supported?

teddyoh

First a little background:

Kodak Zi8

Sony VAIO laptop (1 year old)

Windows Vista

Intel Core Duo 2.8GHz with 3GB RAM

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 trial

Just bought my first 1080p video camera and was very excited! I went with the Kodak because it was veru highly reviewed and was very small which means I will carry it more and get more video! I immediately installed PE and tried to start a new project to play around. I noticed a couple of big problems that I hope experienced users may have info/advice about.

1) I selected start new project, but the only options were 720p or 1080i

I didn't see a 1080p option. Nowhere did I read the PE didn't support 1080p video. The video added to the project, but I'm not sure if any processing or burning I do will maintain the 1080p resolution. This would be a dealbreaker for me, as 1080p is where I want to be. Am I missing an option? Is there something fundamental about starting I project I don't understand? Note that I added the video clip as a file, and did not directly import it from my camera. Does that make a difference?

2) EXTREMELY slow video playback

Even using the 1080i option, the 10 second clip I added to the project (filmed in 1080p) was unwatchable. It was so slow that I don't know how I would be able to do any actual video editing. I read that PE is a bit slow compared to Pinnacle and CyberLink, but this? I wonder if my laptop may be the issue here. However, again I am concerned this could have to do with the 1080p video resolution. Any recs on specs for a computer to handle PE and 1080p?

Thanks a ton! Hope to really start to get into the video editing, and will probably post again soon!

• 1. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm concerned because you say you bought a Kodak camera -- and I don't believe Kodak makes a camcorder that shoots in a traditional video format like AVCHD or HDV.

Which model are you using? If this camcorder is producing video in a proprietary form of MP4 (as Flips, Webbies and similar pocket HD cams do) it's likely you'll have to convert your video into a more traditional format before you'll be able to edit it without issue in Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting that no one seems to have any detailed specs on the format/CODEC for the Zi8. Even the Kodak "Extended Manual," makes no mention of what is used. It is mentioned along with the Flip & Creative Vado in reviews, but no real specs. One reviewer did comment that the compression was a drawback, but did not say what that was.

Everyone mentions the bundled software, and directly uploading the footage to YouTube, but no one mentions trying to edit it. All they talk about is the sexiness of the design - must all read each other's reviews?

Maybe the OP's printed user's manual will have some real specs.

I'd suggest running one of the files through the free utility, G-Spot, to get the full specs. on the files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
              nealeh Level 5

I've had a small hunt around the Adobe website and cannot find Adobe stating the formats it produces. You say "Nowhere did I read the PE didn't support 1080p video" but nowhere do they say it does.

Steves point about formats is important.  From the Kodak product page:

File formats   

1. video: H.264 (MOV), AAC LC
                 2. still: JPEG

Capture mode   

1. 1080p (1920 × 1080, 30 fps)
                 2. 720p/60 fps (1280 × 720, 60 fps)
                 3. 720p (1280 × 720, 30 fps)
                 4. WVGA (848 × 480, 30 fps)
                 5. Still (5.3 MP, 16:9 widescreen, interpolated)

So follow the advice to convert the footage before importing to PRE.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

You did a better job on the Kodak site, than I did. I could only find the "bullet points," and then a limited manual with no specs. Good job!

Hunt

• 5. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                  nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

Maybe the OP's printed user's manual will have some real specs.

Not really. I've gone through the 58 page manual for ArcSoft MediaImpression (that I think is what comes with the Zi8 camera). All I can find is that it will save as a VCD, DVD, or YouTube footage.

In the capture mode it says it can open avi, mpg, mpeg, wmv, asf, mov files.

I cannot find anything about editing footage.

As you say Bill (I see you are back to the_wine_snob in this post  ) it would be good to know what G-Spot has to say about it's native format.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                    nealeh Level 5

This page has the product spec

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Zi8_Pocket_Video_Camera/productID.156585800

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you. I must have just overlooked the CODEC info - need new glasses. Now, I wonder how the AAC Audio will work? I know that PrPro can have issues with that.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 8. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                        teddyoh Level 1

Wow! Thanks for the detailed responses. Regardless of the issues that the Zi8 may have, I'll definitely stick with PE for video editing with a strong online support forum like this!

I will run a file through G-Spot tonight and report the results. If it turns out that the Zi8 files need conversion prior to import, what program and format do you guys recommend conversion to?

Also, nobody definitively answered about PE and if it supports 1080p of any codec (my first point). Any thoughts? After the detailed evaluation of my second question, it seems like a chip shot answer!

• 9. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I only handle SD Projects, hence the lack of even speculation on my part. For conversions, I use DigitalMedia Converter (shareware), but do not know of it's HD handling. I'm sure that they cover that in detail on their site. There are probably great freeware converters, that will work fine too, but I just do not know them.

When you run the file through G-Spot, just do a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen and then use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the forum's editing screen's Toolbar to attach that. It will save a bunch of typing out the details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                            teddyoh Level 1

Here you go,,,G-Spot.JPG

• 11. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                              teddyoh Level 1

By the way, here is the Setup menu you get when starting a new project. No 1080p option. But I can import 1080p video files. What is the deal! Is PE automatically converting them or maintaining the resolution?

Setup.JPG

• 12. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This looks like it may be video shot with a still camera -- in which case you will need to convert it to a more standard video format before you bring it into Premiere Elements.

If that is not the case, what kind of camera did this video come from?

• 13. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

It's footage from Kodak's Zi8, which is their competition for the Flip or the Vado. The "undetermined" aspect of the H.264 CODEC in G-Spot is also troublesome.

Going back some months ago, wasn't there a "custom" 1080p Preset that was uploaded (ZIP attachment maybe), that a user had written for PrE (cannot recall if it was 7, or 8)? IIRC, ATR, or someone else was going to test adding it to the Presets folder, but I do not recall much more. It might NOT have even been for 1080p. I looked, but could not find any thread on custom Presets with an attachment, or even instructions on writing one.

To the OP, good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This is possibly the THREAD that I was thinking of, or maybe I confused aspects of multiple threads, as I could swear that the custom presets were for 1080p (this one is mainly for Frame Size), and I really thought that there were a couple of ZIP's attached. It really hurts to get old, as the memory is just not what it once was.

Good luck, and more, if I can find them,

Hunt

• 15. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a 1080i vs 1080p THREAD. Might be some useful info there.

Hunt

• 16. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another THREAD on 1080p.

Hunt

• 17. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another 1080p THREAD, but so far, no "custom Presets."

Hunt

• 18. Re: 1080p Video - Is it supported?
                                            Cal Naughton Jr.

Found this in another forum. Hope it helps. Here is a screen cap from Premiere Elements 9 Trial version:

Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 1.22.33 AM.png

This dialog is displayed when I select the "Share" tab, then "Computer", then "MPEG", then "Advanced". When this window pops up, select the "Video" tab and you will see the option for "Field Order" which defaults to "None (Progressive)". The following excerpt is from the Premiere Elements 9 help file under "Customize Advanced Share Settings":

Field Order (or Fields) Specifies whether the output file’s frames are interlaced, and if so, whether the upper or lower field is dominant. No Fields (Progressive Scan) is the equivalent of progressive scan, the correct setting for computer display and motion‑picture film. Choose Upper Field First or Lower Field First (the default) when exporting video for an interlaced medium such as NTSC, PAL, or SECAM. DV footage is generally Lower Field First; however, some newer nontape camcorders produce video with reverse field order, so make sure to check your camcorder’s documentation.

So it appears as though the program defaults to progressive scan output even though the presets do not indicate that as an option. Viewing the video output you will indeed see that interlacing is not present.

Hope this helps.