6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 1:08 PM by Harm Millaard

Need a video card recommendation for CS4

Colin Brougham Level 6

My older Radeon x1950 isn't up to the task when it comes to Windows 7 and Premiere Pro (it works fine in Vista, but I'm going to 7), so I need a replacement. I'm not looking for the latest-and-greatest... in fact, a previous generation card would be just fine. My HP xw6400 workstation is a few years old, but has plenty of life left in it for my purposes, so I just need to to update this element.

I'll probably be looking on eBay for an older card, or an inexpensive current generation card, preferably around $100. It just needs to get me by until I can fully update (read: replace) my current workstation. Any recommendations for CS4 and W7 x64?

• 1. Re: Need a video card recommendation for CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I would have a look at an ATI HD4670 or a HD5450. Both will meet your needs nicely and carry an attractive price tag, untill you decide to upgrade to a new MPE supported card.

• 2. Re: Need a video card recommendation for CS4
            shooternz Level 6

Out of curiosity Colin..

Why are you going to the bother of W7 now considering that you are replacing hardware down the track  ( assumeably around the time of CS5 release as I am)  ?

• 3. Re: Need a video card recommendation for CS4
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I put Win7 on my laptop just last week, and saw a pretty dramatic increase in general/overall speed--not necessarily just in Premiere. It's hard to explain--I guess Win7 just feels "lighter" and more agile, and I wasn't even a big Vista detractor. Of course, I joined the Vista party kind of late, anyway, so I managed to miss most of the really bad stuff. Win7 actually makes general computing, well, fun--I haven't felt that since hacking on my dad's old Color Computer waaaaay back when

Plus, I don't think I'll be getting a new system this year, beyond minor upgrades to my current system. Things haven't been so hot in the US, and I live in Michigan, which is arguably in the worst condition in the US, and the part of Michigan I live in is even worse than the state average. The county next to me has over 25% unemployment! So basically, I need to try and squeeze as much blood from a turnip and utilize the stuff I've got for as long as I can. Unfortunately, I probably won't even be going to CS5 right away when it releases, but we'll see how it goes--some shiny new things I just can't resist

• 4. Re: Need a video card recommendation for CS4
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Harm--the 4670 looks like a good buy for the price, even new. Since you're way more into the hardware than I am, does it matter which particular card vendor you go with? Or are all of the various offerings of a particular level pretty much the same?

• 5. Re: Need a video card recommendation for CS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

They are pretty much the same. I would choose based on clock speed, memory and price.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Need a video card recommendation for CS4
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Perfect, thanks again. I thought at first that a big difference was the types of output connections, but the playing field seems to be pretty much leveled by the fact that various adapters are usually included with the packages to give you all the connections you could possibly want.

(I was interested in this because I use a single PC display, and the second output drives a full-screen overlay preview, whether it's DVI, composite or component. The possibility of HDMI is intriguing for HD monitoring.)