2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 11:09 AM by Michael Kominsky

Best Strategy: Down Rez from HD to NTSC SD...or?

Michael Kominsky

Greetings All:

Looking for some imput into a strategy for creating multi-format content.

System:
      AMD Phenom II x 4 CPU 2.8Ghz
      Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 500MB physical
      Shared Memory Size 3579 MB
      3 x 500GB + 1 x 1TB Seagate 7200rpm.
      1 x 500GB dedicated system disk
      1 x 500GB dedicated video
      1 x 500 GB dedicated audio
      Vista 64 SP2 WIN reports performance score of 5.9 avg
      8 GB
      PrP 4.2.1
      Matrox RT.X2 LE 4.2(141)

The Project:

A 1 hr. documentary cut to PBS redbook specs. Most video footage is NTSC SD 720x480 4:3...acquired with good quality Sony Broadcast DSR-300/200 cams in DV Cam. One of the potential major markets for this content is the UK PAL perhaps broadcast, but more realistically, PAL home video market.

1. Unfortunately many regional PBS affliates now understandably prefer HD content.

2. As anyone who has done PBS content knows, the meager licensing fees paid by PBS regional usually do not even cover hard production costs....so the only chance one might have to break even(yea, I know...a novel concept:) including producer/filmmaker time, is essentially to give away the content with the hope of making a buck or two through the sale of ancillary products such as DVDs(hats, shirts & mug if you can get em!) tagged/pitched at the end of the content.

3. With the proliferation HD in general, and of Blueray HD DVD, my sense is that, to maximize both broadcast etc. and home video markets, I'll need to create at least two possibly four formats versions.

4. So it would appear that I'll need to create a broadcast video AND a DVD in the following formats:
      NTSC 720x480 4:3 29.97fps
      PAL 720x576 4:3 25fps (?)
      HD 1440x1080(i or p)29.97fps
      HD 1440x1080(i or p) 25fps

5. Would very much appreciate any views on strategy, and workflow to maximize quality while minimizing production time and $$$ as well as any technical considerations...

6. So...cut the original at HD then Pan & Scan to SD? If so, is it practical to expect that i.e. a Matrox Pan & Scan could handle this content as one large export from the timeline, or perhaps export to a Matrox avi first, then do a Pan & Scan...or perhaps break the content into discreet segments then P & S and reassemble. Or? Open to all recommendations...

7. Then of course there is the issue of NTSC to PAL conversion.

I look forward to any and all input.

Muchas TIA,

Cheers,

Mick

PS:

I'll also post on user Forums:

Matrox RT.X2
      Creative Cow: Prp and Matrox
      Any others you can think of?

• 1. Re: Best Strategy: Down Rez from HD to NTSC SD...or?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't uprez SD material. Instead shoot HD, so get another camera. Second, lose the Matrox. Third, maybe forget about NTSC if you shot PAL. The time it takes and the inherent quality hit are not worth it, IMO.

In short, limit yourself to SD DV PAL i or, if your camera is indeed NTSC, leave it in NTSC.

BR PAL does not support P.

• 2. Re: Best Strategy: Down Rez from HD to NTSC SD...or?
            Michael Kominsky Level 1

Thanks Harm...

1. Don't uprez SD material.

Not optional here...this is NTSC SD 4:3 legacy footage that is integral to the content...however there are many stills and animation of stills that can be created HD rez, then incorporate the SD footage at full rez as a scaled/vignette at 720x480/1440x1080i?

2. Instead shoot HD, so get another camera.

See above

3. Second, lose the Matrox.

Matrox seems to do a fairly descent job or down rezzing from 16:9 to 4:3 ...with Pan & Scan I could keyframe the scan and pan...any specific reason you have not to use RT.X2?

4. Third, maybe forget about NTSC if you shot PAL. The time it takes and the inherent quality hit are not worth it, IMO

All acquistion done in NTSC 4:3 DVCAM

5. BR PAL does not support P.

Ahhhh...thanks for that....I was not aware of this...i(interlaced only) in UK... eh? I'll research this further...both for UK broadcast and DVD home video

Again...many thanks for taking the time to respond...anyone else?

Best,

Mick