2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 3:50 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Exporting to FLV

eclipsegrafx2

I am trying to export a 1600 x 1200 FLV from after effects. I believe this is too big to handle? I don't know what the problem is but I keep getting an error:

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Media IO Plugin. There is a mismatch between Output Module settings and Transcode Settings. Please verify your settings and try again. Property Data Invalid!

I export with the settings to make the flv same as source for flash 8.

I am using CS4 on a mac.

If you need any more details please let me know.

The client needs this 10 second animation done in aftereffects to play full screen on a homepage of a website. I did it in after effects because when we did it in flash it had too many large png's that it slowed down the processors of what ever client it was being viewed on which made the whole animation chug/ run super slow.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Exporting to FLV
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

See this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/570893?tstart=0

But frankly, 1200x1600 is way too big. The resulting file would probably be around the 30MB mark and by the time it has fully loaded, it wouldn't matter that it's a 10 second loop - all your visitors would have left 2 minutes ago. Also, it will put considerable load on the clients servers as well as the processors of the visitors computers. In so many words: the page will be a desolate outpost where nobody goes. You are trying to solve one bad design decision by making another bad decision. If it didn't work with the SWF, then it won't with the FLV, either.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Exporting to FLV
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

FLV has maximum dimensions of 1921w x 1081h.  Since your height (1200) has exceeded those bounds, you get the error message.  CS4 doesn't give you a very useful error in this case, sorry about that.

Mylenium is right that such a large file can be a bit of a resource hog.  If you're linking to the FLV, have it set to stream, and the server is speedy, it might be OK.  Whatever you do, don't embed an FLV this large in the SWF, which means the visitor will have to wait for the entire SWF to load before playback can begin.

[Edit: I added a note about this to the Help page for FLV and F4V export.  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS6B8C949E-7182-4cb3-A4EA-A237BB4EB968.html ]