3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 10:38 AM by Steven.Madwin

How to use javascript to auto fill a signature

kanza17

Hello,

I am new to Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.  I have scanned a paper form/document that originally  had various data lines to be written on using an ink pen.  I saved the scanned PDF as an Acrobat 9 PDF.  I have added various pertinent text fields and checkboxs to PDF form and saved it with appropriate extended setting to allow end-user to type on PDF and save a copy.  At the bottom form there is a name/signature text field for end-user name to be typed and a calendar text date when name/signature text field is entered .

I need to send this PDF form to various end-users using (Groupwise/Novell) email to have them sign or type their name and date at bottom of form.  Is there a way that Adobe Acrobat 9/PDF will recognize the email sender and allow the name/signature field to automatically fill-in signature/name textbox.  Are there tools like javascript, etc. that will help me accomplish this task?

I don't know where to begin. I am a newbie.  Please help!

• 1. Re: How to use javascript to auto fill a signature
          Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

There is no practical method to automate the signing via a JavaScript call associated with a button. The problem is you would need to know the name and location of the digital ID file for each signer, and unless you are working in a system where uniformity is enforced with an iron will, that's a bit of a stretch.

You could use seed value to ensure the signer of the signature field is a specific individual (or an individual from a select group), but you would have to have the public key certificate for each individual and I have the feeling (based on your newbie comment) that might be a bit much to ask of you.

However, I do applaud your work in document authoring and in trying to institute digital signatures in your work environment.

Steve

• 2. Re: How to use javascript to auto fill a signature
            kanza17 Level 1

Steve, please further explain using seed value to ensure the signer of the

signature field is a specific individual(or individual from a

select group)?  Also could you elaborate on needing to have a public key

certificate for each individual?  An explanation would expand my knowledge

of Adobe Acrobat 9.   I'll wait for your response.  Thank you.

Kanza17

• 3. Re: How to use javascript to auto fill a signature
              Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Kanza17,

It's a bit of a lengthy discussion. I'd recommend two places to read up on what seed values are and how to set them. First, check out the Security Admin Guide, specifically Chapter 9 - Controlling Signing with Seed Values. That will give you a good understanding of what a seed value is and what it can do. The next thing to look at is the JavaScript for Acrobat API Reference. Once you get to the web page click the Search button in the left hand panel, type in "Seed Value" (without the quotes) in the edit field, and then click the Go! button. You're looking for the section signatureSetSeedValue and there you will find some examples at the bottom of the page that will help you get started.

Good luck,

Steve