Did you uninstall 5.1 before installing 9.3? Upgrading to the directly next version usually works well, but skipping several versions without uninstalling first can lead to numerous problems.
I installed 9.3 first then deleted the 5.1 version of Reader. Have been trouble shooting the problem ever since. Have researched Internet Explorer options and tried some option changes with marginal success. The Microsoft site has not been helpful yet but that's my next area to research. I also have a new have a new laptop with Win 7 and Reader 9.3 installed -NO problems but that PC was pre-configured by the vendor.
1 person found this helpful
I installed 9.3 first then deleted the 5.1 version of Reader.
You may have broke 9.3 if you uninstalled 5.1 AFTER installing 9.3.
Try reinstalling 9.3.
1 person found this helpful
The 9.3 update is flawed I think.
My version has been auto updating for years, and this time it came up with the message "Version 9.3 failed to install". Clicked OK and that was that. All references to Adobe Acrobat have been removed from my machine. No shortcuts, and I cannot start the program from the program files area. The remaining files all relate to Acrobat 8 and are dated 07/04/2009 and there is no way that I can read .pdf files - apart from Open Office!
Anyone else having the same problems?
Do you have Acrobat or Reader? This is the Reader forum.
I have Acrobat Reader, and have never had Acrobat (full version) to my knowledge, unless it comes with CS3 or CS4.
The problem is solved by downloading the program from the Adobe site. It installs and works with no problem. As I said before, its an update problem. From experience with other updates for Adobe programs, I am not in the least surprised. They often break and have to be re-installed, but I have never had them wipe out my program and leave no traces at all.
However, downloading another copy solved the problem. I switched off updates and will only switch them back on when I want to do so - under my control.
I have Acrobat Reader,
It's just Adobe Reader now.
That IS unusual. I've never seen that problem in these forums. Hard to say what caused it.
whatalotofrubbish wrote:I switched off updates and will only switch them back on when I want to do so - under my control.
You can always download the updates and install them yourself.
Downloads available at: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows
That may be my next step. For now I can work around the problem for the most part. I have 3 diverse situations based on the site the PDF is coming from. First, one site has a choice of opening a PDF or HTML file if I go with the HTML it downloads correctly ( I guess that ADOBE is out of the loop) Second site, I can download and view BUT I get the "unknown file type" message. Third site, I have to save the file and then can open it with Reader 9.3. This suggests that the way each site has implemented ADOBE is different. These problems do not occur on the laptop which has WIN 7 and Reader 9.3. I may just have to live with this nuisance on the older setup until I either replace the older hardware or update the software which is not my choice.
Thanks to all for your help.