4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 8:36 PM by Medo Joe

is it possible to modify many pages at once not one by one?

Medo Joe

Hello all,

sorry i'm new here..and i'd like to know if dreamweaver can change a url or a title name for all my pages before uploading them ..say 100 pages at once without having to suffer making the same changes to them one by one.

is it possible ? or...

----------------------------------------------------

Medo Joe

How to make money at home

• 1. Re: is it possible to modify many pages at once not one by one?
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Title name for pages, yes. Edit > Find & Replace

File names (URLs), yes, one at a time and DW will manage the link updating for you too.

Can you be more specific?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: is it possible to modify many pages at once not one by one?
            Medo Joe Level 1

Thank you so much,  well i was hoping if i could do something like adding a "side bar" to all of my pages at once.

just thinking of the idea of changing 100 pages this way already gives me a headache.

• 3. Re: is it possible to modify many pages at once not one by one?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No headaches required.

Dreamweaver offers Templates and Library Items (both are specific DW features which work locally).

The web generically offers Server Side Includes (not a specific DW feature, works Server Side-hence the name)

The downside to Templates and Library Items is that once you've updated the Template or Library Item (code snippet) and then locally updated all the pages which use them, you then upload to the server every page which changed. Could be hundreds of pages to upload every time you make a single edit.

Server Side Includes are far better. They are file snippets which are "Included" in the page on the Server Side when the page is delivered to the browser. Make a single edit to a single Include file (e.g. your Sidebar). Upload that one tiny Include file. All pages in your website are instantly up-to-date.

SSIs are perfect for headers, navbars, sidebars, footers, copyright notices, price lists etc. Any repetitive content which appears on more than one page really.

For me, SSIs changed site maintenance from a chore to be dreaded (Templates and Library Items) into a pleasure that I'm happy to do regularly.

• 4. Thank you
                Medo Joe Level 1

John i can't thank you enough, i will definitely try the server side out.