3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 12:57 AM by Mylenium

3D Tracking Question

DC B. 09 Level 1

I'm attaching a sample still of what I'm trying to accomplish. Please take a look:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s99/dc2000_bucket/perspective_3d_track.jpg

The idea is to create a 3D layer (red grid) that will have a text displayed behind a person's back in a perspective view against two points on a person's shoulders. I know that I can track those points with Mocha, but what I can't figure out is how to apply that data to the movement of the text layer in a 3D world.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: 3D Tracking Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I know that I can track those points with Mocha, but what I can't figure out is how to apply that data to the movement of the text layer in a 3D world.

Well, there is no 3D data. It's all just 2D. Even if you choose to export transform keys instead of corner pins and apply it to a 3D layer, it's just pseudo 3D. mocha has no concept of depth.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3D Tracking Question
            DC B. 09 Level 1

OK, thanks. But what about 3D trackers, like Boujou for instance. Can it do what I want? (I hope they allow to download a trial version though)

• 3. Re: 3D Tracking Question
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In theory yes, but not with such tight shots. You would have to use a wider frame and crop it in post. There is not enough background visible for a stable 3D solution in your example. And of course having distinct features/ markers in the BG helps.

Mylenium