7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2010 7:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Video Capture Device - Windows 7

GrupeD

I am having trouble finding a device to capture analog video under Windows 7.  Has anyone found a device which works? I have VCR tapes to convert to DVD.

• 1. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Canopus/Grass Valley line up should work fine. Look HERE. Also, look at their ADVC-110 for a few $ less. These are both FW devices, so no drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
            Paul787 Level 3

I'm assuming you already have a Firewire connection on your computer. Personally, I use and ADS Pyro API-557 converter. It looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ADS-Tech-Pyro-A-V-Link-Converter-API-557-AV-Digital-NEW_W0QQitemZ270368 747807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef33bb11f

It converts the analog signal into DV-AVI files that work so well in Premiere Elements. Files are large from the conversion, sized at 13GB per hour of footage. I got my ADS Pyro device used on eBay for about $100.

Another popular conversion device is the Canopus line of devices like the Canopus ADVC110.

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

There are also USB type conversion devices, but my recommendation for ease of use and best quality of capture is to use a Firewire conversion device like the ADS or Canopus devices.

• 3. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
              GrupeD Level 1

I tried going to the GrassValley web site,

however my anti-virus software detected harmfull viruses on

the site.  I will continue to look for other products.

• 4. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
                Rivercoon

I bought a used Sony DCR-TRV320 Digital 8 camcorder for that purpose.  It can play Hi8 tapes and feed them directly into the computer by FireWire or you can hook up another analog player to it with RCA or S-video cables and have it digitize the footage.  Only a few models of Digital 8 cameras had this feature so check the specs before buying one to transfer videos.

• 5. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
                  Paul787 Level 3
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

GrupeD wrote:

I tried going to the GrassValley web site,

however my anti-virus software detected harmfull viruses on

the site.  I will continue to look for other products.

You can check it out at Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Canopus-77010150100-ADVC110-Converter/dp/B00030ATTO

• 6. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
                    nealeh Level 5

I use the Magix Rescue Your Video Tapes package, which is one of the USB converter types. It's been fine for digitising home movies from VCR (which in themselves are not terrific quality). Fundamentally I use it because it was cheap to try, but I continue to use it for several reasons:

1. It works (including W7-64bit).
                    2. Magix have a propriety high quality format (mxv) that runs at around the same rate as DV for capture.
                    3. Scene splitting. It's as easy to split scenes manually as in PRE (one key).
                    4. Colour Correction: I like the tweakable auto colour correction, it's easier than PRE7 (but I see auto colour correction is now in PRE8).
                    5. Batch Convert: It can export the entire movie in DV-AVI Type 2 - one DV-AVI per scene. These are what I then use in PRE7.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Video Capture Device - Windows 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Yes, the Pyro gets high marks, as well, and it is very similar to the Canopus 110. If one has a lot of VHS (analog) tapes to Capture, the Canopus 300 offers more TimeBase corrections during Capture, than the other two, but at a higher price. Most of those "corrections" can be done in post-production, but at the cost of time. In this case, you either pay on the front end, or on the back end. That choice is yours.

Besides the USB devices (few ever get these to work properly, even with the bundled software), there are PCI capture cards. My Turtle Beach works fine, but others cause tons of issues. I strongly recommend the FW "bridges" in lieu of USB, or PCI cards. The FW devices are more direct, faster and have fewer attached issues.

Good luck,

Hunt