7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 3:44 PM by Rasdall

CS4 soooooo slow!

Rasdall

I have just upgraded to CS4 (from CS3) and also bought new workstations. The new computer is an HP Z800 dual quad core, with 6 GB RAM, Nvidia FX4800 graphics card running Vista Business 64 bit. I am currently trying to work on and render a 30" tvc created in CS3 (on an older HP).

This particular project used to take 14 minutes to render (without multi processing turned on) on the old machine which was 32 bit with 3 GB RAM running Windows XP Professional. I am now attempting to render the same project on the new system (I've given up on multiprocessing for now) and the same project takes at least 2.5 hours to render (if I'm lucky enough to get througt it - the program usually hangs indefinitelyor crashes) ! We're about to tear our hair out.

I've re-installed CS3 onto the new HP Workstation system and it works as it used to. So what is going on with CS4? EVERYTHING about it is sooo slow. Even saving a project takes 15 seconds or so, whereas before I'd miss it if I blinked.

I've done all the updates, read a lot of the forums and read me's, but to no avail. In fact I have 2 suites now running this new configuration and both suites are experiencing the identical problems. Productivity is grindingly slow and staff losing patience.

Before I go and spend a lot more money on a lot of RAM does anyone know why such a great product has suddenly tuned into a dog?

Thanks, Richard

• 1. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you using a Wacom tablet?

If so, see this post.

• 2. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
            Rasdall Level 1

Hi Todd

Thanks for the reply. One of the machines has a Wacom tablet attached so I'll try removing that today. The other machine which has identical performance problems with CS4 doesn't have a Wacom tablet installed.

Both machines are also running Avid Media Composer and are located 20 metres away from their CPUs - so we have extenders for everything - mouse, keyboard and both monitors. Have you come across any issues here? (thinking about the UI  / input devices here, as with the tablets).

Cheers, Richard

• 3. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
              ChrisProsser Adobe Employee

The big change when you went from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS is that After Effects can use more physical RAM.

1) Do you use multiprocessing (Turned on the Preference panel)?

2) Try changing the value of Preferences->Memory & Multiprocessing->RAM to leave for other applications to your amount of physical ram - 2GB. I think you said the machine has 6GB, so set that value to 4GB and see if it helps.

--chris

• 4. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This post expands a little on what Chris is suggesting regarding RAM:

"Performance tip: Don't starve your software of RAM"

• 5. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
                  Rasdall Level 1

HI TODD & CHRIS, THANKS FOR THE INFO.

I HAVE PINCHED 6GB FROM THE OTHER MACHINE AND NOW HAVE 12 GB INSTALLED INTO 1 MACHINE. IT''S STARTING TO WARM UP...

2 THINGS I'VE NOTICED THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND:

1. WATCHING THE MEMORY ALLOCATION IN THE TASK MANAGER WHILST CS4 IS DOING A RAM PREVIEW WITH SAY 4 PROCESSORS, THE RAM USED BY EACH PROCESSOR GROWS. THE TOP ONE IN THE LIST ALWAYS HAS USES THE MOST RAM AND THEN THE OTHERS LISTED BELOW ARE ABOUT THE SAME. THEY START OUT AT ABOUT 300,000KB EACH AND 'WIND UP' TO ROUGHLY WHAT I ALLOCATED, BUT THIS PROCESS TAKES AT LEAST HALF THE COMPOSITION TO GET THERE...AT WHICH TIME IT SLOWS RIGHT DOWN AGAIN.

THE SAME HAPPENS WHEN RENDERING. AS I TYPE I AM WATCHING 4 PROCESSORS RENDERING WITH 860,000KB ASSIGNED TO EACH, EVEN THOUGH I SET THE AMOUNTS TO 2.8GB IN THE MULTI PROCESSOR SETTINGS. THE RAM ALLOCATION IS SLOWLY GROWING FOR EACH, BUT THE WHOLE THING IS SO SLOW COMPARED TO CS3.

2. WHEN I HAVE MULTIPROCESSING TURNED OFF, THE MAXIMUM RAM ALLOCATED TO AE IS 2.4GB - EVEN THOUGH THERE'S 12GB AVAILABLE. CAN THIS BE CHANGED?

ANY THOUGHTS?

REGARDS

RICHARD

• 6. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
                    ChrisProsser Adobe Employee

Please increase the amount of memory to leave for other applications to 2GB.

--chris

• 7. Re: CS4 soooooo slow!
                      Rasdall Level 1

Hi Chris, I have done that but it's still the same.

Richard