4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 11:17 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 Crashes as soon as it opens

Robsodav

I last editing this project on 24th January when all was OK. Now when I open it, it immediatley crashes with either of the 2 following errors:-

1. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runime error. Program c:\Program Files\AD.... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unsual way. You then get the message form PE that it is running very low on system memory.

2. PE Debug event. PE has encountered an error. [..\Src\TimeBarControlAppearance.cpp-2120]

My PC is a Quad processor with 4Gb memory running Vista 32 bit, 2 hard drives with lots of space free. I have not installed any new s/w since 21st January.

I have updated my NVIDIA driver to the latest version (196.21) and also tried restarting Windows with all startup programs disabled. Still get the same problem. Any suggestions gratefully received

• 1. Re: PE7 Crashes as soon as it opens
          nealeh Level 5

The low memory probably means what it says - PRE likes a lot of memory. Take a look in your system tray and see what stuff might be running that is loaded as a service rather than a startup program and look at task manager processes as well. Terminate anything like anti-virus, firewall, skype, itunes helper etc .... If we can get it running then these can be added back one at a time to see which one is the memory hog.

For the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error it may be simplest to uninstall the runtime and then reinstall PRE7 in case there is a version issue. The runtime alone can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A19 1EE&displaylang=en (On my system the version number is 8.0.56336).

Also you may not have installed anything directly but you may have programs that update themselves invisibly - go to 'Uninstall a program' in Control panel and sort it by installation date to see the most recent installs.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE7 Crashes as soon as it opens
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For many, the updated MS RunTime distributable library has fixed that issue. What often happens is that the C++ RunTime .dll get corrupted. This can happen with just a simple OS update, or hot-fix. On most computers, these updates are automatically downloaded and installed, and the user is seldom aware that they have been added. The exact same thing happens with Audio and Video drivers. An MS Security Update can render them obsolete. One problem with diagnosing things like this is that the display (or sound) seems to work fine with players and other programs. An editing program, like PrE, works much more closely with elements on computer, like the Audio and Video drivers, and the C++ RunTime Library. Everything else seem OK, until one goes to edit.

I would also install the very latest Audio and Video drivers from the mfgr's Web site, and also insure that you have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player. Is the listed nVidia driver the VERY latest?

With memory, remember that that term, "memory," encompasses both RAM and also the OS's Virtual Memory, i.e. the Page File. PrE uses both and needs a lot of both. Most computers load up a bunch of unnecessary programs and Process, at boot up. This ARTICLE will give you tips and tricks to rid yourself of those unnecessary programs and Processes, but how to easily stop others, that are necessary for other operations, when you start to edit. This frees up as much memory and as many resources, as possible, to give PrE "room to work."

If the above suggestions do not help (they certainly should), then something else might be going on. The tips in this ARTICLE might lead to some "clues," as to what is causing your issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE7 Crashes as soon as it opens
              Robsodav Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have evntually got back to editing my video. Here's what I did.

• I uninstalled one program and a widows update - the only progran changes which had happened. No effect
              • I used msconfig to startup with all startup items disabled i.e. minimise memory use. No effect.
                I exported the whole project as a single new file then started a new project with that file as the starting point. Now working fine.

I don't understand how Premiere uses memory if disabling the startup items had no effect and Task Manager says only 1.7 Gb of memory is being used i.e. 52% of the 4Gb system memory available. But heh - it's working now, so I'll just get on with editing my project.

•  

• 4. Re: PE7 Crashes as soon as it opens
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                But heh - it's working now, so I'll just get on with editing my project.

That is great news. All too often, we can only go by some "likely suspects," and hope that one of them is the problem. When doing troubleshooting, whether on my system/Project, or remotely in the fora, I usually start with those "likely suspects," and then work down from there, getting deeper with each step.

Glad that things are now working for you - happy editing!

Good luck,

Hunt