12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 9:37 AM by the_wine_snob

Missing Files

Helmuth Fischer Level 1

I run PrPro CS 4 on Windows XP (after the system crashed too often on VISTA), but admit that I have still to install the latest updates (which might have a fix for my problem). When opening an exisiting project, it happens at times that a window appears: Where is the file xxxxxx? The program is asking for the path. This applies mainly to audio files and sometimes also to still images. When I saved the project, all files were present. I definitely did not move the files to another location or renamed them. Any input?

• 1. Re: Missing Files
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are the files stored on an external drive or on a network?

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Missing Files
            Helmuth Fischer Level 1

Jeff,

The files are stored on one of the hard drives in the PC where I normally store my clips, soundtrack etc related to a project.

HELMUTH

• 3. Re: Missing Files
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did you open or process the files in another application besides Pr?  Like the images in Photoshop or Bridge?  Or the audio in Soundbooth or Audition?  Anything that might have changed the metadata, the file size or the date/time stamp?  In theory, changing the metadata in Sb or in Bridge should be recognized and accepted by Pr, but it's possible that's not the case here.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Missing Files
                Helmuth Fischer Level 1

Jeff,

No, not really. My typical workflow would be, to open the project in Encore and burn a DVD or BRD. But before I do this, I would save the project in Premiere.

Thanks for your effort.

HELMUTH

• 5. Re: Missing Files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Helmuth,

Have you done any reorganizing, or "housecleaning?" This behavior will always occur if the files have been Moved, Renamed, or as Jeff says, changed in many ways.

Your Project file is just an XML database. All that it does is links to the Asset files, and then has instructions on what to do with those files, via the links. When you get that message, the link has been broken. The links contain the Path to the files, plus the exact name of the file and a few other little things like the Metadata. When the Path, the name or some of that Metadata has been changed, the link is no longer valid, but PrPro is smart enough to offer your ability to re-establish those links and will help you with a navigation dialog screen, and even a Find option. Remember, the Path and the file name MUST stay the same - no Moving, or Renaming, or you WILL get that message.

If you have NOT done any Moving, Renaming, or major alteration to those files, then something is not right, and the links are being corrupted. One test that can be run is to go to the Project's AutoSave folder, and Open the latest AutoSave - Note: if you have not changed the default settings for AutoSave, you will have five files in that folder, ending with 001 through 005. Set the View to Details and look closely at the Date/Time annotation for each of the five files. You want the latest one, and it might be 003, not 005, as these five files are overwritten over time - the program cycles through the five numbers over, and over. Do the links in the AutoSave work perfectly? If so, then something in the Save process is allowing corruption. In a very few cases, users have found an issue with Save (I do not recall any reason ever having been found), and discovered that no corruption happens when they do a Save_As, incrementing the file name numerically, say from MyFileName to MyFileName_01, etc.

Good luck, and please let us know if you did any Moves at all, or any Renaming. If you did not, how did the AutoSave file behave?

Hunt

• 6. Re: Missing Files
                    Phil Griffith Level 2

when you changed from vista to xp, did any of your drive letters change?

• 7. Re: Missing Files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Good one. I was seeing the "trees," and overlooking the obvious forest. The drive letter is the first and a large part of that Path.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Missing Files
                        Helmuth Fischer Level 1

Hi Bill,

I am relatively new to the news group and I am impressed by the effort you guys make to assist a novice (also to the editing world) like myself.

I will conduct the test as described by you. What I find strange, is the fact that in one case I used three pieces of music, all of which reside in the same folder under "soundtracks". What baffles me is, why would only the one be unlinked? It also does not happen with every project.

I admit that I only downloaded yesterday the upgrade to 4.201. The problem might go away when I install the upgrade during next week.

HELMUTH

• 9. Re: Missing Files
                          Helmuth Fischer Level 1

Hi Bill and Phil,

I did only one project under VISTA. Then it was taken of and XP installed. Thereafter I started "with a clean sheet". So re-naming of drives is out.

Thanks

HELMUTH

• 10. Re: Missing Files
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Why? If you had a certain disk named X under Vista,

what is stopping you from naming it X under XP?

• 11. Re: Missing Files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Helmuth,

First, we really enjoy helping everyone, and take it personally, if we cannot. For most of us, it's "giving back," for help that we got at some point along the way.

What I find strange, is the fact that in one case I used three pieces of music, all of which reside in the same folder under "soundtracks". What baffles me is, why would only the one be unlinked? It also does not happen with every project.

I agree completely. This is odd behavior indeed. That is why we're asking some possibly silly questions. Still, things like a major change in the file, the name, the location, etc., can cause that - otherwise, there is not a quick, logical explanation for this. It happens, so there must be a reason, but that reason has been elusive, so far.

Updating the CS4 version has improved things with each update release, so this MIGHT be the cure. If not, we've got a bunch of tests to run, until we either solve the problem, or find a workaround for it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Missing Files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm is correct. In the Windows Disk Manager, you can assign driver letters for MOST HDD's, as you need.

Now, this might not be necessary. You might have to go from your memory, but can you list your HDDs' drive letters from Vista and then the same HDDs' drive letters for XP. It could be that simple.

Good luck,

Hunt