14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2007 4:30 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver MX and Vista

pkcariel
      The 'Insert' tab always shows up. Even after select 'window'--deselect insert' if I open a document, the insert thing will show up again. No matter how many times I close/deselect it.

I don't ever use it and I don't want it popping up all the time.

I'm running the old version of Dreamweaver MX version 6 I think. It's from 2002, but I've installed it on Vista. Any help would be welcomed. Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
          Level 7
          pkcariel wrote:
          > The 'Insert' tab always shows up. Even after select 'window'--deselect insert'
          > if I open a document, the insert thing will show up again. No matter how many
          > times I close/deselect it.
          >
          > I don't ever use it and I don't want it popping up all the time.
          >
          > I'm running the old version of Dreamweaver MX version 6 I think. It's from
          > 2002, but I've installed it on Vista. Any help would be welcomed. Thank you.
          >

I don't think its 100% with Vista, CS3 is so you might want to upgrade.

Steve
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
            Level 7
            "pkcariel" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fdr4du$nei$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > The 'Insert' tab always shows up. Even after select 'window'--deselect
            > insert'
            > if I open a document, the insert thing will show up again. No matter how
            > many
            > times I close/deselect it.
            >
            > I don't ever use it and I don't want it popping up all the time.
            >
            > I'm running the old version of Dreamweaver MX version 6 I think. It's from
            > 2002, but I've installed it on Vista. Any help would be welcomed. Thank
            > you.

Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (you did install the updater?) should be usable with
            Vista, some permission-related issues may be resolved by copying certain
            files from the ProgramFiles Dreamweaver Configuration to the User
            Configuration folder, or by just launching Dreamweaver as Administrator.

Joris

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
              pkcariel Level 1
              I installed the update but still have no luck getting rid of the pesky thing.

copying certain
              files from the ProgramFiles Dreamweaver Configuration to the User
              Configuration folder,

Which files might these be and how do I go about doing that ;)
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                Level 7

news:fdslfp$f1l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I installed the update but still have no luck getting rid of the pesky
                >thing.
                >
                > copying certain
                > files from the ProgramFiles Dreamweaver Configuration to the User
                > Configuration folder,

>
                > Which files might these be and how do I go about doing that ;)

I'm still researching which files are being written.

Copying a file is as simple as opening a console window and entering the
                following command as one line and pressing enter afterwards.

copy "%ProgramFiles%\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Configuration\THE_FILE"
                "%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Configuration\THE_FILE"

For researching what files are being written to, you can use ProcessMonitor
                http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

Sorry it has to be like this, but that's what you get for teleporting
                dreamweaver into the future:
                if that's too much hassle, why not pay for the work done to make it
                compatible and get CS3.

Joris

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                  pkcariel Level 1
                  Sorry it has to be like this, but that's what you get for teleporting dreamweaver into the future: if that's too much hassle, why not pay for the work done to make it compatible and get CS3.

I will pay for an upgrade after I finish paying back my student loans from my graduate degree ;)

Until then, just a basic step-by-step /copy what to where/ would help immensely. It's so odd that this version of Dreamweaver worked excellently with XP but only has the issues now that I'm on Vista.

Thanks so much for looking into this and helping me out!
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                    Level 7
                    > worked excellently with
                    > XP but only has the issues now that I'm on Vista.

It predates Vista by 6 years. I don't find that surprising at all.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                    ==================

news:fdu2ef$63k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Sorry it has to be like this, but that's what you get for teleporting
                    > dreamweaver into the future: if that's too much hassle, why not pay for
                    > the
                    > work done to make it compatible and get CS3.

>
                    > I will pay for an upgrade after I finish paying back my student loans from
                    > my
                    > graduate degree ;)
                    >
                    > Until then, just a basic step-by-step /copy what to where/ would help
                    > immensely. It's so odd that this version of Dreamweaver worked excellently
                    > with
                    > XP but only has the issues now that I'm on Vista.
                    >
                    > Thanks so much for looking into this and helping me out!
                    >

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                      Level 7
                      On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:25:19 +0000 (UTC), "pkcariel"
                      <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Sorry it has to be like this, but that's what you get for teleporting
                      >dreamweaver into the future: if that's too much hassle, why not pay for the
                      >work done to make it compatible and get CS3.

>
                      > I will pay for an upgrade after I finish paying back my student loans from my
                      >graduate degree ;)
                      >
                      > Until then, just a basic step-by-step /copy what to where/ would help
                      >immensely. It's so odd that this version of Dreamweaver worked excellently with
                      >XP but only has the issues now that I'm on Vista.
                      >
                      > Thanks so much for looking into this and helping me out!

I really would think you would be better getting XP and putting that
                      on your PC ....................

I'm not touching Vista for at least another year.

--

~Malcolm N....
                      ~
                      • 8. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                        pkcariel Level 1
                        Thank you Malcolm and Murray for being so sympathetic and helpful in my plight.

I'm still hoping that someone will be able to give me more information about ways in which I will be able to get the 'Insert' to stop popping up on me no matter how many times I try to close it.

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                          Level 7
                          news:fdukgv$ol6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Thank you Malcolm and Murray for being so sympathetic and helpful in my
                          > plight.
                          >
                          > I'm still hoping that someone will be able to give me more information
                          > about
                          > ways in which I will be able to get the 'Insert' to stop popping up on me
                          > no
                          > matter how many times I try to close it.

For what it's worth, my version 6.1 doesn't do that in Vista Business,

I've found not to work:
                          Insert table object crashes when saving preferences
                          To fix copy files
                          Objects/Common/Table.htm
                          Objects/Common/Table.js
                          Shared/MM/Cache/empty.htm
                          to user configuration

Joris

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                            pkcariel Level 1
                            Thank you, Joris.

Where is the user configuration folder located?
                            • 11. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                              Level 7
                              news:fdvsh8$6ps$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Thank you, Joris.
                              >
                              > Where is the user configuration folder located?

I told you already, its: "%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
                              MX\Configuration",
                              I strongly advise you to go get CS3, unless you're willing to do the
                              research and pay attention to detail.

Joris

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                                Level 7
                                "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                news:fdu2ta$6i8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> worked excellently with
                                >> XP but only has the issues now that I'm on Vista.
                                >
                                > It predates Vista by 6 years. I don't find that surprising at all.

I find it surprising to see how Dreamweaver MX managed to almost completely
                                comply with UAC guidelines years before these guidelines were published.
                                When using the correct API calls all writes to configuration files should be
                                redirected to a user writeable location.

MM_OpenConfigFile
                                < http://livedocs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/8/extending/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?co ntext=LiveDocs_Parts&file=22_c_l28.htm>

Macromedia must have had psychic programmers on the team ;)

• 13. Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                                  pkcariel Level 1
                                  I told you already, its: "%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Dreamweaver

I don't know how to access this if it's some MSDOS thing since Vista doesn't use DOS. I need to know WHERE that is and how to get there. ;)

I strongly advise you to go get CS3, unless you're willing to do the research and pay attention to detail.

I doubt I would have been able to complete my dissertation if I didn't have research skills and the ability to pay attention to details. >__> I'm not a complete computer dunce, (for example, I do know how to code a website =P) but I'm not that familiar with this sort of thing which is why I was asking for the help of the experts that roam this forum. I've got a Masters of English Literature, but I'm not a tech whiz like all of you are.

I am currently paying back my student loans which is why I cannot afford to purchase CS3 and by the time I do have the money I'm sure there will be a CS8 or something. For this reason, if you spell it out to me like you would a five-year-old child without being condescending, it would be most appreciated. ;)

Thank you!

here's my email address
                                  • 14. Re: Dreamweaver MX and Vista
                                    Level 7
                                    news:fe3s68$feb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > I told you already, its: "%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
                                    >
                                    > I don't know how to access this if it's some MSDOS thing since Vista
                                    > doesn't
                                    > use DOS. I need to know WHERE that is and how to get there. ;)

Surprise: vista still supports a MS-DOS like prompt, it's called
                                    command-prompt and can be found under the accessories menu..
                                    %WHATEVER% is a way to refer to the value of the environment variable named
                                    WHATEVER,
                                    and you can execute the command ECHO %WHATEVER% to see the value of
                                    WHATEVER.

> I strongly advise you to go get CS3, unless you're willing to do the
                                    > research and pay attention to detail.

>
                                    > I doubt I would have been able to complete my dissertation if I didn't
                                    > have
                                    > research skills and the ability to pay attention to details.

I don't doubt your research-skills, however, because I've pointed you to a
                                    program that can monitor file system access and thus help you to identify
                                    the files to be copied, I doubt that you are willing to take the time to
                                    actually do the research.

>__> I'm not a
                                    > complete computer dunce, (for example, I do know how to code a website =P)
                                    > but
                                    > I'm not that familiar with this sort of thing which is why I was asking
                                    > for
                                    > the help of the experts that roam this forum.
                                    I've got a Masters of
                                    > English
                                    > Literature, but I'm not a tech whiz like all of you are.

Sorry I've no degree whatsoever, but determination and perseverance have
                                    taken me a long way.

> I am currently paying back my student loans which is why I cannot afford
                                    > to
                                    > purchase CS3 and by the time I do have the money I'm sure there will be a
                                    > CS8
                                    > or something. For this reason, if you spell it out to me like you would
                                    > a
                                    > five-year-old child without being condescending, it would be most
                                    > appreciated.
                                    ;)

Oh and by the way: I'm also paying back my student loans, en because of that
                                    and because I like to reverse engineer, I am still working with the
                                    Dreamweaver MX licence I honestly paid for years ago. Because researching
                                    the UAC issues has taken me about 5 hours, and considering a hourly rate of
                                    about $50, I could just as well have bought an upgrade to CS3 and it would
                                    have been cheaper. But then again I would not have had the joy of peeking
                                    behind the scenes and figuring out what was going wrong, so if you're like
                                    me and don't mind doing the work, please do use the information I've given
                                    to fix your problem. On the other hand, if you're not willing to put in the
                                    effort, please buy Dreamweaver CS3, a lot of hard work has gone into
                                    creating it, and the people that did it have so much more knowledge about
                                    the inner workings of dreamweaver, it would be virtually criminal not to use
                                    it.

> Thank you!
                                    >
                                    > cariel{at}dramatic-personae.net