16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 9:28 AM by the_wine_snob

What caused my project to flicker?

zjimbo Level 1

I deleted some files on one of my HD's and now when I log in to a project the timeline flickers when you play the sequence.

The video is also jumpy.

Thanks Jim

• 1. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Did you Delete some of the Render files? Is there a red line at the top of the Timeline, just below the "ruler?" How do these Clips play, after you hit the Enter key?

If you have a green line, or no line, and Enter does not change things, please give us the details of your Clips and your Project/Sequence Preset. Also, let us know which files you Deleted.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
            zjimbo Level 1

It needs to me rendered. The Red line is at the top. Being new to this I did not create folds for my work, that is not until later on. I have a mess when I open and explore the drives.

I am not sure which files I deleted, but I did restore them in the trach bin.

Hope this helps. Please tell me all I need to do is render.

• 3. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
              zjimbo Level 1

I did delete CFA. PEF, and Render files. Before I did my house cleaning it tool 7-8 minutes to open this file, now it opens in a little over a minute.

• 4. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, did Rendering help?

As for those CFA (Conformed Audio) and PEK (Waveform Display) files, see reply #2 in this THREAD for a bit more background. These files will be regenerated, if Deleted, when the Project is next Opened. If these were Moved/Deleted, and the Project was Opened, they need to be regenerated, and PrPro will go about that task. Even if you Move/Restore them, it will be unlikely that PrPro will attempt to find and relink to them, and will just go about the regeneration. While this process is on-going, your computer will be sluggish, at best. Look for that progress bar, and just wait until all regeneration is completed. If you have a lot of Clips, this process CAN take a while. Just be patient.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                  zjimbo Level 1

Sorry for being away so long. It takes about three hours to render. After I rendered, the video does not jerk around, but the time-line still flickers.

It does not matter if I try to start with enter, space bar, or monitor button the time-line still flutters.

I am finished with this project and I don't anticipate doing anymore work in it. I made the final changes before I rendered this time. Now I want to use Dynamic Link and effect those changes in Encore.

I am concerned about doing this. My Encore project works great and I don't want to effect it with whatever is affecting premiere. If that is not going to happen I don't have a problem leaving the jerks in premiere.

At this point do you think it is safe to open Encore through Dynamic Link?

Thanks again

• 6. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's look at a few things:

1.) what mouse driver do you have? I know that sounds odd, but bear with me.

2.) what video card do you have, and do you have the VERY latest driver installed from the mfgr's Web site?

3.) in Hardware Acceleration, what is the setting - min, max, or somewhere in between? If min, set to max. If max, set to min. If either helps, then increment, until the problem comes back and back off one increment.

4.) what is your OpenGL set to?

5.) in the Video Track Header, you have a little icon for the Timeline display. It can be set to All Frames, Head and Tail, Head only, and none. Try other settings of thumbnail displays. How do they work?

Let me know how that goes, please.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I have seen the fluttering you mention in the timeline with my previous video driver. Sometimes it disappeared after restarting PR, but then it reappeared after a short time. I haven't seen it anymore with the latest video driver. I'm not sure that it really was caused by the video driver or having run other programs that left behind some crap to cause this. Updating Mozilla, CCleaner, paying my taxes.... Likely the latest one caused this. This is legalized theft.

• 8. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Aren't you running ATI's? I know that there have been myriad problems with various recent nVidia drivers, but do not recall "flicker," but could have just missed that.

Hunt

• 9. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                          zjimbo Level 1

All that will take me a while to figure out. I don't know what most of that is. I usually google and first find out what you guys a saying. Then I try to get the answers.

It is a long process but I really don't want to be spoon fed.

Harm I just got my taxes prepaired today, so I hope that is not the problem. I updated Mozella recently when I went to Win7 last week, and I'm not sure about the CCleaner. But I'm sure google with fill me in.

Thanks Jim

• 10. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah Jim, I think that it's the taxes! See, I have not done mine yet, and have no flicker...

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out. That Harm also had flicker might rule out some of my suggestions, as he'd have looked at those first. Still, it will not hurt to check, as your machine and his are different. I think that I can say that with confidence, as James Cameron and Peter Jackson just rent Harm's computer, whenever they have a film to edit...

Hunt

• 11. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                              Michelmnr Level 1

Hi guys, I have a problem bigger than I thought since i don't pay taxes any more! does this mean I'm stuck with the flicker too, and till death pulls me apart !

Ok but this/these flickers we see in our monitor are one thing but why are they also in the finish product. In my case I have converted .mts files into AVI (mpeg4, I think) imported them in PP2 time line done some extra editing (not flickering). Then exported the sequence "as a movie" that gave me another AVI file that I used in Encore to build my DVD.  The finish  product was ok apart from the Flickering/Jittering may be flagging, I'm not sure what is the correct description, but what I know it occurs every time  I was panning the camera a little faster.

• 12. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

Yes I have an ATI HD4870 and every month I update my drivers.

The fluttering I had and which is gone now, was a slight flickering of the render bar at the top of the timeline, the red, yellow and green area. For some mysterious way it flickered occasionally, but it had no impact on the video.

• 13. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                                  zjimbo Level 1

Man, you guys have left me in the dust.

Harm, do you really rent your computer and what the heck is a ATI HD4870.

Is it like a chrome reverse muffle bearing; are you guys a feeding me a line?

Google knows.

I'll be back when I get some answers. Smart A........s.......

That is Smart A's for me...U can read between the lines as this post proves.

Really thanks for the help. This is why I am loyal to Adobe. Sure it has it problems but what.....editor.....doesn't.

And here I can get some help.

Jim

• 14. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

When James contacted me for renting my computer, I was in a quandary. Maybe he was in a bind so he offered a good price, but the Director (my wife) wanted me to finish a film for friends, so in the end I turned him down...

Bill was just joking. The ATI HD4870 is a video card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%20106792627%2010679 40678&name=Radeon%20HD%204870

• 15. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for that info. Glad that the flicker is now gone - must have been those taxes???

Hunt

• 16. Re: What caused my project to flicker?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Yes, I was pulling your leg on Cameron and Jackson, but Harm DOES have a killer system. He calls it "mid-level," but when one reads the specs., it is anything but. The ATI is the brand/model of his video card. The two most common suppliers are ATI and nVidia. Both are good mfgrs., but there can be some differences in performances and also perfection of interface, due to drivers. Some like one brand better than the other. I have more nVidias, than ATI's, but have had zero issues with either brand in my case.

Because PrPro interfaces with the video card, basically on two levels (first the GUI that we see on the screen, and then with regard to the Video that we edit), the drivers can be very, very important. Also, an NLE program will likely work more closely with the driver, than about any other program. This confuses some users, because WMP will playback fine with an outdated driver, but PrPro will just not do it. They think that WMP is a good test of the driver. It is anything but.

Since he had similar, I wanted to read his comments (actually, I always want to read Harm's comments), 'cause something there might be helpful to your situation.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful