5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 7:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Newbie needs help

julesnh

Hello,

I am very new to PP and video editing altogether.  Before I can begin to figure this progam out I need to get the video captured!  Last night, got my camcorder hooked to computer and was able to get the device on-line.  Today it's off line.  I don't know what to do.

I appreciate any help, just please keep it simple.

Thanks

Julie

• 1. Re: Newbie needs help
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No, first is learning the basics of video editing. You don't start driving in a Formula 1 car, when you have never driven a car before. Start with manual, help file and try a consumer program like WMM or Magix to learn the basics. Follow classes and watch tutorials.

• 2. Re: Newbie needs help
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Julie we need much more information to help.what type camera and format as an example.  PC or Mac?

• 3. Re: Newbie needs help
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Julie,

Welcome to the forum.

Besides the particular info on your camera, and the connections, please let us know if the OS is still "seeing" your camera. When you have it plugged in via FireWire, and turn it on, does the OS see it and give you that distinctive "bing-bong?"

There can be a lot of things that can go wrong with the various components involved in Capture. One mis-step, say a bad cable, or connector, and things do not work. The requested info will help us tell where to begin looking for a solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Newbie needs help
                Pat Appleson

Hi,

I know, it's no fun.

But, shut down completly, wait sixty seconds, boot it up.  Does it work?

No?  okay.  what makes you think your computer will handle video editing?????

Most, just won't do it.

You probably will have to up date the Bios and perhaps install a driver or two.

Then it should work, but weather you can actually do work on it is another question.

Sorry to be so negative.

Best regards

Pat

• 5. Re: Newbie needs help
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the other suggestions, I use the tips in this ARTICLE, prior to all editing sessions.

Good luck,

Hunt