5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2010 7:00 PM by the_wine_snob

clip won't render

yaddle Level 1

I have a timeline of a few clips and one of the clips in the middle won't render (the green line never appears above it).

There is no red line above, just gray.  no matter how many times I hit enter and go through the entire workarea, it stays gray.

The entire thing plays fine in preview but the green line never appears.  Then when I save it as a quicktime, the audio is messed up in that part of teh clip.

any suggestions?  thanks.

• 1. Re: clip won't render
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If you have no red line, then the Clip does not need Rendering for smooth playback. That is why it is gray.

Rendering is JUST for playback in the Program Monitor. If you have a Clip in DV-AVI format, and have added no Effects, or Titles to it, it'll have gray.

As a test, go to Effects, and add something to that Clip. Does a red line suddenly appear? Remove that test Effect, and you're good to go.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: clip won't render
            yaddle Level 1

Thanks, Hunt!   That is true.   Do you have any idea why the part that doesn't need rendering has unsynched audio when I save

the movie as quicktime?   Thanks again for your help!

Mike.

• 3. Re: clip won't render
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Just a guess, but many find OOS issues when Exporting to many of the QT formats. Rendering, or lack thereof, will not affect sync, so that part can probably be ruled out. Now, when looking at the Audio and Video, is there either a tiny +(number), -(number) at the upper portion of the Clip name? It can be easy to accidentally nudge an un-linked Clip, and not be aware of it. Just thinking here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: clip won't render
                yaddle Level 1

Hi.   I don't see a - or + number there.   The export works fine for any other format except quicktime so I'll just chalk it up to a quicktime thing.  I'm on a PC.   Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: clip won't render
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that other formats work for you. I do not know the causes of the problems with QT, but many experience them. One noted poster, Jeff Bellune from the PrPro and the Encore forum, summed it up this way, "Apple just does not understand anything PC." [OK, maybe a slight paraphrase there, but you get the idea.]

I wish that I had a real "fix," but similar can happen when working with MPEG-2 Assets, and then going to a DVD-Video (another MPEG-2 Transcode). I have fought that one, but clients insist on working with MPEG-2 muxed files from previous DVD's, and refuse to go back and get footage, prior to the creation of that DVD. Sometimes, one gets lucky, but often OOS sinks in, and there is little that one can do about it. On one Project, I had sync perfect on the Timeline, but when we'd go to to the delivery DVD, it would be out. I moved Clips around, for the OOS scenes, by my guess on OOS. Without being able to see it on the Timeline, it was seat of the pants. I'd move a second, and observe no correction. Two seconds and still no change. Three seconds, and I'd get two seconds in the other direction! Finally, I had to just say, until you get the footage before Transcoding to MPEG-2 and the DVD, that is the best that you'll get.

Sorry for the bad news, and I wish that I had a "cure" for the QT Export. It plagues folk on PrPro, and also PrE. When things go well, all is OK. When sync goes out, there seems no way to get it right.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful