7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2010 5:42 PM by kensloft RSS

Can't get flash to work in firefox

kensloft

On I. E. the flash movie works fine but when it is tried in firefox it doesn't appear. A right click of the mouse shows that the flash is there but it doesn't work. Is there something that has to be added or removed in order to make this work properly in firefox? Going to other sites and the flash works fine except when it comes to my site? There is a possibility that it is my coding but it was cut and paste from adobe. The rationale is that firefox should be able to handle this code but it doesn't? Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox
          kglad MVP

you have incorrect swf embedding code in your html.  to confirm, publish an html from flash and test in your ff browser.

• 2. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox
            kensloft Community Member

Well? Tried what you asked and now it doesn't work in either E. I. or Firefox? What gets to me is the fact that the I. E., using the code, works?  Was trying to paste the classid and the embed into the page but was unable to do so. Will look up the code and see if and what there is wrong with it. Thanks for your help. Is it normal for when working on a page on my computer there is no image or movie to be seen. It is only seen when put up on the server?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox
              kglad MVP

i don't download and correct files unless i'm hired to do so.  that shouldn't be necessary with this problem.

upload the html and swf, published by flash, to your server and post a link here.

• 4. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox

Using the publish gets the movie up into firefox, however it still doesn't show up in the firefox browser in the position that is wanted. In looking at the parameters governing the usage of positioning (left,  right etc.) there seems to be no option other than creating a page that  is specific to the firefox browser.

The swf is there but it seems to be under the background color of the html page into which the swf movie has been inserted.

On the other hand there is the possibility of being able to have the swf sit atop the bgcolor of the html page thereby functioning as it should?

Back to the figurative drawing board.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 5. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox
                  kglad MVP

i can't help you if you give me mis-information.

• 6. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox

Not meaning to give you mis-information. Am struggling to overcome this problem and have been able to get the firefox to host the embedded swf.

What has happened is that the web page has been recreated specifically for firefox. Being under the impression that if the embed was done on I. E. then it would tranfer to firefox automatically. This doesn't seem to be the case. In a workaround it was decided that re-doing the page would be the best way to go.

Your assistance has been and is very beneficial in that you made me aware of the publish aspect in flash. Imagine Homer Simpson giving his "D'oh!"

Not sure if what is being done is right but it works. Am able to send it to the server, able to see it working as needed and am now looking at reading the browser to send the right page.

Were it not for your information then there would be a whole lot of struggling left to do. Let me know if this is the right track, please.

Thank you!

• 7. Re: Can't get flash to work in firefox

Problem resolved.

To be put succinctly: Firefox does not work on Internet Explorer but Internet Explorer does work on Firefox.

Lesson learned: Build in Firefox also displays in Internet Explorer.

Thank you.