3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 8:17 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

converting output of an effect into new path?

Shenzi1 Level 1

Hi all.

So I take a square, and then I apply a pucker and bloat to it, to make this interesting shamrock shape. The path remains the same, as a square, but the vector output is changed by the effect into said shamrock.

My question is this - how do I apply the effect directly to the path. In the above example, the blue path would be underneath the fun shamrock.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/OphidianShenzi/01.jpg

Often I will edit a shape with multiple effects, eg. first i'll bloat it, then i'll apply some sort of warp. It would be very helpful to be able to effect the path directly at any stage of the effects process, since when you have a shape that's warped heavily and you try and edit the warped area you get a big suprise.

Suggestions?

Thank you

• 1. Re: converting output of an effect into new path?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You copy the object.

hide its visibility then

Expand the appearance and apply the new effect to that resulting object.

• 2. Re: converting output of an effect into new path?
            JETalmage Level 6

Shenzi,

I hope you're not trying to follow those instructions exactly as stated. If you:

Copy (Edit>Copy)

Hide visibility (Object>Hide Selection)

Then you will not be able to select Object>Expand Appearance, because nothing will be selected.

For clarity:

Live vector Effects really are actual paths. But while still in Illustrator, they are paths that get re-generated on-the-fly each time you modify the original path. When the artwork leaves Illustrator (by exporting or printing), live Effects get "nailed down" to the paths and/or raster objects generated by the Effect.

The Object>Expand Appearance command is so you can  "nail down" the live effect(s) you've applied to an object to actual paths (or raster objects) while still inside Illustrator.

Just select the path to which you've applied the Pucker & Bloat Effect. Then select Object>Expand Appearance. The result will be the result of the Pucker & Bloat Effect rendered as an ordinary path; it won't have the "live" effect applied anymore. If you think you might still need to start over, back at the stage at which you still had the live (adjustable) Effect, you can make a duplicate of the object with the Effect applied before Expanding its Appearance, and set it aside for future use. But there's no need to do that if you're already satisfied with the Effect.

JET

• 3. Re: converting output of an effect into new path?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

James has such clarity! if you copy the object and you hide the original and then work on the copy it will expand its appearance if you chose to do so.

The reason for the copy is if you apply another effect and decide t undo that effect because you want to change the setting n the original you will not be able to do this once you have expanded the appearance. But having the copy gives you the option going back to alter the original art.

How it can be as complicated as the above is beyond me!

AsI wrote above.

Screen shot 2010-02-07 at 11.14.19 AM.png

ames this not a english class and you are no authority on it so stop it.

1 person found this helpful