4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2010 8:14 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

PPro 1.5 incompatible with Windows 7

AltSchul2

I just upgraded laptops and have been eager to continue editing with Premiere Pro 1.5.  However, the program will not upload and gets stuck during the initialization process at GPUPagecurl.aex.  Is version 1.5 incompatible with Windows 7 and if so, is there a fix/patch?

Laptop specs:  i7 chip  8G Ram  dual quad processor @1.6 Ghz  1.6 Ghz and 64bit OS

• 1. Re: PPro 1.5 incompatible with Windows 7
          shooternz Community Member

Why not upgrade to a more current version of PPro?

(1.5 was written a long time before WIN 7 so could be considered fairly redundant)

• 2. Re: PPro 1.5 incompatible with Windows 7
            John T Smith CommunityMVP

Win7 PRO and above has a virtual xp download http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Other than that, what compatibility settings are you using?

• 3. Re: PPro 1.5 incompatible with Windows 7
              AltSchul2 Community Member

I used the compatibility settings of:  Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and also tried Windows XP (Service Pack 3).  Neither worked at all and the program got stuck in the same place.  I tried the recommended virtual XP download but was not allowed to proceed as my Home Premium version did not qualify.  Any other suggestions?  Upgrading to Premiere Pro CS4 sounds good but it might not be an option as the recommeded system requirements aren't met.  They recommend a processor speed of over 2 Ghz and my laptop has only 1.6 Ghz.  It seems pretty demanding.  Suppose it will work with 1.6 anyway?

• 4. Re: PPro 1.5 incompatible with Windows 7
                the_wine_snob Community Member

Personal aside - I feel that the min. requirements are awfully low. They are basically enough to install the program, and launch it. Trying to edit anything with a min. system will be horribly painful, if even possible.

It is good that you read of the min. system requirements. I would not attempt to go with something below those.

Now, with about Photoshop CS, Adobe finally issued a min. video card statement for PS. It was 128MB VRAM min. I still ran PS CS for a few years on a Matrox G-450 64MB video card, without issues. Now, this is VASTLY different than CPU, RAM or HDD setup.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting, even if it was not good news. That will very likely help others with the same question.

Hunt