6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 1:40 AM by Neil Geddes-Ward

Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?

Neil Geddes-Ward

Hi Peoples!!

I have done my web site in Dreamweaver, having done a few in previous years, with some difficulty. However, at the end of the day, I manged to get them online. However this time around, I have uploaded my web site files to the hosting company. They did not show up and they said I have to desginate a landing page!! Well to be honest I have never heard that expression used before. Is that like the home page, welcome page?? And if so, how do I make sure I set up this 'landing' page, i.e. getting people to land on the welcome page is basically my aim.

Any help most appreciateted. i am using an Apple Mac by the way, with a trial version of Dreamweaver.

Regards

neil

• 1. Re: Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?
          370H55V Level 4

Your landing page is generally the same as your home page, but it isn't called home.html.

When somoene enters the name of your site in their browser's address bar (http://www.yoursite.com) that address is your root folder, and not any page in particular. Without an "index page" all they will see is a list of links to the the files you have uploaded.

Some people will build a different landing page than the site home page, but as a rule, most everyone uses an exact copy of the "home.html" page as their landing page or "index.html".

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?
            TennisWill

A landing page can also be defined as a page visitors will arrive at from clicking on an external link to your site.  It could be your home page, or any other page in your site. If you had a banner advertisement on a site; the visitor clicks on the banner and then arrives at your landing page.

• 3. Re: Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?
              Neil Geddes-Ward Level 1

Right, so I thought I was on the right track then! Okay, so how do I define my home page (www.thefawnworks.co.uk) as the landing page then?? Is it a Save as something like home page, landing page etc??

Thanks so far, regards

neil

• 4. Re: Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?
                TennisWill Level 1

Here is info from my web host; 1and1.com after I log in and view their help files:

How should I name the start/home/intro page of my website?

There are certain files that webservers look for when accessing a directory. These
                files are the ones that appear automatically when a domain name is entered. The
                following names are the ones which are recognized. They are sorted in order of
                priority. If for example, in one directory there are two filenames which appear in
                the list, then the server will load the file higher up on the priority list.

Here are the accepted file names on Linux Shared Hosting Packages:

index.html
                home.html
                welcome.html
                index.htm
                default.htm
                index.shtml
                home.shtml
                index.cgi
                home.cgi
                home.wml
                index.wml
                index.php4
                index.php
                index.php5

Here are the accepted file names MS Shared Hosting Packages:

default.aspx
                default.asp
                default.htm
                default.html
                home.htm
                home.html
                home.asp
                home.aspx
                index.asp
                index.htm
                index.html
                index.shtml
                index.aspx

• 5. Re: Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?
                  370H55V Level 4

"Is it a Save as something like home page, landing page etc??"

Exactly.

The page you want visitors to "land on" when they go to your site, (home page, about page, store page, gallery, etc.) needs to be saved as "index.html" in order for the server behavior to define it as the "landing page".

When a server accesses a web address, it accesses the root folder, and as was stated above, there is a priority to what it looks for. First page is index.html.

Save a copy of your home page (or whatever page you want people to see first) as "index.html", and upload it.

Type in your site address and go there. it will "land" on the page you specified and saved as index.html.

• 6. Re: Landing page. what is it and how do I set it up?
                    Neil Geddes-Ward Level 1

Thanks everybody! That solved the problem!! Cheers and best wishes Neil