2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 11:27 PM by Mylenium

Error opening file - file is busy (delete) (-47)    Why?

KatzInAz2 Level 1

I am trying to render and generate an animated GIF, in AE CS4.   When I kick off the render queue, I receive the following error:

"After Effects error:  opening file: "<filename>" - file is busy (delete) (-47).     (3::130)

Per information in other threads/forums, I have changed my cache disks,  changed the location that the output should go to (new folder, completely different disk),   I have shut down and restarted the program, again per other suggestions.

If I render as a Windows VIdeo (AVI) rather than an Animated GIF it works fine.

If I launch AE to "Run As Administrator", it works fine, and appears to render the Animated GIFs fine.  My user account has admin privs, btw.

Seems that this might be a bug, since I can render anything BUT Animated GIFS without having to "Run As Admin".

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Error opening file - file is busy (delete) (-47)    Why?
          KatzInAz2 Level 1

Well, I was a bit early on the "Run as Admin" thing.  The error is still happening.

I can consistently stop the error from happening by FIRST rendering as an AVI, and then SECOND rendering the same thing as the Animated GIF.

Very wierd.

• 2. Re: Error opening file - file is busy (delete) (-47)    Why?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

GIF rendering is handled via an old, old Quicktime thing, so some issues are to be expected. In your case it's probably a problem with reserving the space on the disk before the actual rendering begins. Hard to tell. Have you tried rendering to other locations? Also, since it ends up as a GIF, it may be under supervision of some virus scanner or security tool that interferes. Mmh, I don't realyl have anything to offer beyond that, but for quality reasons you should avoid rendering GIFs directly from AE anyway. Render a MOV and run it through Photoshop Extended or tools like Ulead GIF Animator...

Mylenium