5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 6:23 AM by the_wine_snob

MPG clips have no sound, DVI, AVI clips do have sound

dude27518

newbie at this, using Premiere Elements 4,trying to import some older clips that were captured at MPG format.  They play fine with sound in Windows Media player, but when they are imported to Elements, they lose their sound in the timeline.  the sound is there whene I use my old video editor.

new files captured straight from digital video cam into the computer and stored as DVI or AVI format DO HAVE sound and work in Premiere Elements.  Obviously this is not a data problem but some kind of setting that's wrong.

Can anyone help me please?  Thanks

• 1. Re: MPG clips have no sound, DVI, AVI clips do have sound
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first question at the link below (I think it is still first) includes a link to GSPOT to give you file and codec details

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

Once you have the CODEC details, report back

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MPG clips have no sound, DVI, AVI clips do have sound
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John T is correct to ask for the Audio info from G-Spot. Unfortunately, Adobe programs have some issues with muxed (Multiplexed) MPEG Audio.

One solution would be to rip the Audio portion of the MPEG AV file, with a program, such as the freeware Audacity, and just do a Save_As to a PCM/WAV file at 48KHz 16-bit. One would then Import that WAV file, and place it on an available Audio Track, aligning it with the MPEG Video Clip on the Video Track.

Another would be to convert the muxed MPEG to a DV-AVI Type II, with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Prism is an oft recommended converter for this purpose. I use a different program, but it is not free, like Prism.

A variation on the above would be to Import the muxed MPEG AV file into the other NLE (the one that handles the MPEG Audio), and then Export from that as a DV-AVI Type II with the above specs.

Good luck, and please post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen so we can see exactly what the Audio is in that file.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: MPG clips have no sound, DVI, AVI clips do have sound
              dude27518 Level 1

Thanks for the tips

I tried Gspot, it said the Codecs were installed

Here's a screen shot

gspot codecs.JPG

here are the answers to the questions you said to do in the troubleshooting link:

1. The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec)

Video    MPEG2    
                  Codec: MPEG2  Name: MPEG-2
              Audio    MPEG-1 Layer 2,
              Info: 0xc0:48000Hz  384 kb/s tot , Stereo
              Stat: Codec(s) Installed

2. Premiere Pro ELEMENTS not Pro      
                       1. Version number        Adobe Premiere Elements V. 4.0  F139  sep 9-6-2007 
                       2. Installation language    English
                       3. Updates applied        F139  sep 9-6-2007
                       4. Project/sequence settings     ??? I just have one MPG file in the viewer and there’s no sound, haven't really saved it as a project
                 3. Operating System
                       1. Name            Windows XP Home Media Center 2002
                       2. Update/patch level        Service Pack 3
                       3. Installed language        English
                       4. Display resolution and color depth.
                 4. CPU type and speed        Pentium 4 2.80Ghz
                 5. Amount of memory (RAM)    1.00 GB Ram
                 6. Video card
                       1. Manufacturer        Nvidia
                       2. Model            GEForce 8400GS
                       3. Driver version         6.14.11.8206   dated 2/9/2009
                 7. Number of monitors (displays) in use        1
                 8. Audio card
                       1. Manufacturer        Realtek
                       2. Model            AC97
                       3. Driver version         5.10.0.5730  dated 10/1/2004
                 9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
              1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)
              147 GB hard drive C:    19 GB free
              scratch projects etc on drive C in my docs
              with 5 GB partition for system restore etc D:
                10. Hardware capture device
                       1. Manufacturer        captured to hard drive…NA?
                       2. Model            captured to hard drive…NA?
                       3. Driver version number     captured to hard drive…NA?
                11. Capture software       
                       1. Name            Showbiz2
                       2. Company            Arcsoft
                       3. Version             2
                12. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.        None?
                13. Exact text of any error messages                None               
                14. Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is

no sound in showbiz2 MPG videos when pulled into Premiere Elements.  Sound plays fine on these same MPG files in Windows Media Player, Showbiz2, etc.

15. Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure
              n/a

16. Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help.

MPG files work in other players, just not PElements.

Is this helpful info?  Do I need to give other answers?  Was going to try and rip the audio in Audacity but it looks like quite a task for 30 mins of video.  said would take 90 minutes, so i bailed.  haven't tried that yet.

Thanks fro the help

• 4. Re: MPG clips have no sound, DVI, AVI clips do have sound
                dude27518 Level 1

PS I did convert the file from MPG to DV and get the converted file to have audio and video both in Premiere Elements, but it will be a pain to do that to each one, hope someone can figure out what's wrong.   These are family videos we're trying to preserve. thanks

• 5. Re: MPG clips have no sound, DVI, AVI clips do have sound
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Muxed (Multiplexed, i.e. both Audio & Video combined in one file) MPEG can be problematic for all Adobe programs. For the ones that do not Import with Audio, conversion might be the only way. Did these files come from a video camera? If so, what make and model?

I also notice that you nVidia driver is a year old. There have probably been 12 updates in that time. This will not affect the audio, but is good to do anyway.

Your Realtek audio driver is about 6 years old. Do get the latest version from the Realtek site.

Good luck,

Hunt