9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 7:38 PM by Photo*John

How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?

kkampfe1

Hi -- I recently installed premiere elements 8.0 on a laptop running Vista Home Premium and have been trying to load video files from our Sony Cybershot DSC-W290 -- a point and shoot type camera that shoots video in HD 720p but that saves as MPEG4 files.  When I load it into premiere it views fine in organizer, but I can't use the files in any project -- the video portion simply shows a blank red screen.

From reading various threads, it sounds like the problem is simply that PE can't work with MP4 files.

So is there an easy way or a free or recomended program I can use to convert the files to something I can use in PE without loss of quality?

And if so, what format is it best to convert them to?

It looks like this has been touched on a couple of threads, but I can't find a direct answer about the best program to use or the best file type to convert to.

Thanks so much,

Kevin

• 1. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

It could be as simple as not having an H.264 CODEC, that PrE can edit with. First, please run one of your files through the free utility, G-Spot, to find out the full particulars on those files. Post a screen-cap of the info.

There are three very popular H.264 CODEC's, Apple's, MainConcept's and Lead's. Many users have far better luck with the latter two.

Also, just because some player can play an AV file, though an installed CODEC, does not mean that an editing program can edit with that same CODEC.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for the screen-cap,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
            kkampfe1 Level 1

Thanks so much for the response -- and sorry to be slow getting the info posted -- got tied down by some other stuff in the meantime:

-- I'm not sure how to get the specs for the files using the G-spot program, but here are the specs from Mediainfo which I'm guessing is the same info?

General
            Complete name                    : C:\Users\test\Pictures\2010 01 16\M4H01776.MP4
            Format                           : MPEG-4
            Format profile                   : Sony PSP
            Codec ID                         : MSNV
            File size                        : 7.61 MiB
            Duration                         : 7s 507ms
            Overall bit rate                 : 8 498 Kbps
            Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-01-16 20:14:10
            Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-01-16 20:14:16

Video
            ID                               : 1
            Format                           : MPEG-4 Visual
            Format profile                   : Advanced Coding Efficiency@L4
            Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
            Format settings, QPel            : No
            Format settings, GMC             : No warppoints
            Format settings, Matrix          : Default (H.263)
            Codec ID                         : 20
            Duration                         : 7s 507ms
            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
            Bit rate                         : 8 426 Kbps
            Nominal bit rate                 : 9 000 Kbps
            Maximum bit rate                 : 14.0 Mbps
            Width                            : 1 280 pixels
            Height                           : 720 pixels
            Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
            Frame rate mode                  : Constant
            Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
            Resolution                       : 8 bits
            Scan type                        : Progressive
            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.305
            Stream size                      : 7.54 MiB (99%)

Audio
            ID                               : 2
            Format                           : AAC
            Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
            Format version                   : Version 4
            Format profile                   : LC
            Format settings, SBR             : Yes
            Format settings, PS              : Yes
            Codec ID                         : 40
            Duration                         : 7s 466ms
            Bit rate mode                    : Constant
            Bit rate                         : 64.4 Kbps
            Nominal bit rate                 : 64.0 Kbps
            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
            Channel positions                : Front: L R
            Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
            Stream size                      : 58.7 KiB (1%)

Thanks again -- if i can get this figured out that would be wonderful,

Kevin

• 3. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
              nealeh Level 5

kkampfe1 wrote:

-- I'm not sure how to get the specs for the files using the G-spot program, but here are the specs from Mediainfo which I'm guessing is the same info?

Just start up G-Spot and drag and drop a video file into the top left section.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the G-Spot screen. I find that a screen-cap is the easiest way to display these findings. Saves typing!

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
                  kkampfe1 Level 1

Is this what you're looking for?  I can't figure out how to paste it so it's more legible, so hopefully this is adequate.

Thanks again -- Kevin

screenshot.jpg

• 6. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
                    kkampfe1 Level 1

So, any thoughts?

From reading a few other discussions, I've tried using Prism Video Converter to convert the files to AVI files, but this doesn't seem to work either -- I assume it's that I it must be that I'm still missing the correct codec?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 7. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
                      nealeh Level 5

kkampfe1 wrote:

So is there an easy way or a free or recomended program I can use to convert the files to something I can use in PE without loss of quality?

And if so, what format is it best to convert them to?

As it is successfully loading into PRE then you can use PRE itself to export in DV-AVI format. This is on the Share Tab> Personal Computer. Select the DV-AVI option and, when it is finished, remove the original from your project and replace it with the DV-AVI version you have just created.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
                        Photo*John

I'm having the same problem with Sony Cybershot TX5 MP4 files. The really annoying thing is they opened fine in Premiere Elements 7. Now they won't open in Premiere Elements 8? What the hell? Anyway, here's a screenshot of the G-Spot data. I also tried converting them to AVI files with PRE 8 and that didn't work. I really don't understand why this has to be so complicated when Photoshop is so straightforward. Thanks in advance for the help.sony-tx5-gspot.jpg

• 9. Re: How to convert MP4 files from Sony cybershot point+shoot that shoots video in 720p to edit in PE?
                          Photo*John Level 1

I dug around a little more and found a workaround solution in this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2407920#2407920

I copied one of the problem MP4 files to another folder, changed the extension to .qt and now it works just fine.

I'm happy to have found a workaround. But c'mon Adobe. This is ridiculous. The files open in Premiere 7 (and apparently 4) but not 8? That is inexcusable. The more I use Adobe Premiere Elements the more ridiculous I think it is. Photoshop is soooo good. How is it that the same company can make another program that is so sloppy?