5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 10:44 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I copy old dvd?

hellomartinab Level 1

I made a movie with premiere pro about a year ago. I burned it and it plays fine in a dvd player I want to make another copy of it. How do I do this? I tried to do a quick copy and burn outside of premeire and encore but I am wondering if I need to use one of these programs. Also I don't want to loose any quality. I worked alot with this stuff a year ago but now I just can't remember anything I learned!!!!!

Thanks for your time!

• 1. Re: How do I copy old dvd?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Coping to HDD and burning with e.g. Nero is just as good,

If you want to use Encore:

Go to build and set Create Using to DVD volume.

Browse to DVD-rom station and select the Video TS folder.

Hit OK

• 2. Re: How do I copy old dvd?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try the FREE version of

http://www.imgburn.com/
            • 3. Re: How do I copy old dvd?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Either way will work fine. Personally, I use John T's method, and just let ImgBurn Copy the DVD. It's a little bit more work, if you only have one DVD drive/burner, but I have several, so I just choose the Source Location as I:\ and the Destination Location as J:\, or K:\. Takes hardly any time at all.

Tips: do not burn at the fastest possible speed, and also use premium blank disc, like Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden. Do not use Memorex, TDK*, recent Ritek*, or any "store brand."

Good luck,

Hunt

* Both WERE respected brands at one time. Older Riteks are still relied upon. However, it appears that each might have adopted the "Memorex business model" - buy from the very cheapest mfgr. and re-brand. A spindle of 100 might have blanks from 4 different suppliers, though all will have the Memorex label on it.

• 4. Re: How do I copy old dvd?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Coping on the fly is not always flawless.

• 5. Re: How do I copy old dvd?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With recent gear, I have not had any issues - yet!

Going back to earlier generations of burners, buffer overruns were common. Back then, I always copied to the HDD, then held my breath, when I went to burn. For the most part, those days seem to be behind us. However, now I have to get a real "coaster," 'cause I do not create as many from blank CD/DVD media nearly so often.

Hunt