6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 10:20 PM by Jimsurf

My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video

Jimsurf

I have a Dell E520 with Windows XP 32 bit and 4GB DDR II SDRAM 800 MHz ( PC2-6400 ) , 925, 3.0, 2X2M, PentiumD Presler, D0 processor.

I am attempting to make 3-5 minute beach volleyball videos for youtube, and the video is coming out distorted no matter what export settings I use.

It appears that tons of frames are getting dropped, or the video has a bunch of lines and distortion in it.

I have a Canon hg20, AVCHD.

I have tried creating project types of AVCHD 1080i30 (60i) with and without Anamorphic, and I have tried a multitude of h.264 export settings.

How much of a factor is my hardware in this problem, or is it more likely that my export settings are incorrect?

• 1. Re: My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It is like towing a 5000 Lbs trailer with a 30 year old Volkswagen Beetle. It may work if you go very, very slow, but chances are you are going to blow up the engine, the transmission box, or get stuck in the mud during the next downpour while you are still towing.

They never tell you that when you get an AVCHD camera, that you also need a new computer, do they? Don't worry, they already have it ready to be shipped to you.

Run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark and submit the results to Bill (and send them to me by private mail) to see how your system compares to others. If I make a guess on what you described, you will likely make Glenn a happy person. (I'll explain that when I have seen your results).

For AVCHD around the minimum requirements for comfortable editing is an overclocked i7.

• 2. Re: My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video
            Jimsurf Level 1

That makes a lot of sense, and I will run the benchmark in the next couple of days, but I can guess that my pc is not at all what I need for video editing. The question then is: if the focus of my usage of Premiere Pro is for 3-5 minute videos, are the recommendations you make for a PC the same. In other words, are your recommendatins based on any computer using Pro, or spefici to producing large projects? Is there a difference or is the recommendation the same?

I am aware you are anti-Dell, and I am not saying you are wrong, but they have a deal now on this computer: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-8100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-8100&s=dh s&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~performance-desktops-02

Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
            Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
            6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM1 at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
            750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
            nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB2 DDR3
            Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
            This pc is on sale right now for $1050, and includes a 20 inch monitor.
            Would this computer be suitable for Premiere Pro, and in the right price range.
            PS it would be nice to double up on the ram, but that costs about 600 extra.
            • 3. Re: My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It sure sounds like a great deal. Mind you, I'm not against Dell, in fact we have two Dell servers running. I think they offer good machines at attractive prices.These specs are certainly good for your purpose. The only thing against Dell, as you saw yourself, is when you add additional memory or add an extra disk or go for a faster CPU or upgrade the OS, they really steal you blind. It is far better to buy the extra components you want elsewhere and install it yourself, like additional memory or an extra disk. I mean that upgrading from Win7 Home to Pro is $ 130 extra, which is utterly ridiculous.

There are three possible changes in this system to consider:

1. Upgrade to 8 GB memory for $ 60. Otherwise you have to get two 2 GB DIMM's yourself and that will be difficult for that price.

2. Change the combo BR/DVD for the BR burner for $ 80. Same argument as above.

3. Upgrade to the 22" full HD monitor for $ 19. That is attractive pricing.

And get 2 additional hard disks with 32 MB cache elsewhere.

About the distortion, can you tell some more of the exact steps you have taken and illustrate that with screenshots.

• 4. Re: My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video
                Jimsurf Level 1

So, you are saying that in your opinion this system would meet the basic requirements for Premiere Pro CS4, and that the system price seems reasonable?

And, by the way, thanks for all the inoformation.

I will post a video example tonight when I get home.

• 5. Re: My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes. The only drawback is that the BIOS in the XPS is crippled, and does not allow overclocking, which I would normally consider a severe handicap, but with your short timelines has limited impact. It just requires a bit more patience.

This system carries my approval for your intended use, if you add those disks I mentioned earlier. (not sure whether that carries any weight though )

• 6. Re: My pc, short video clips, h.264, AVCHD with Canon HG20, distorted video
                    Jimsurf Level 1

Well, I created a video that I was going to post for you (Harm) to show you an example, and when I got it up to Youtube, it actually looked good. I struggled for a couple of months trying to figure out the project settings, and export settings for the video, and after video was encoded I tried to watch it on my computer. For whatever reason, the video launched in QuickTime. The video frames were totally out of whack while watching it, but fine when uploading it to youtube.

I think in the beginning of this whole process of learning PP CS4(sometime last year), I was using the wrong settings and the video looked bad on Youtube, and I eventually just tried to preview it locally, and no matter what I did, it looked like crap on QuickTime, so I thought I was doing something wrong, and I gave up on uploading it to youtube.

My thought, don't preview the files in QT. Here is an example of the most recent video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8CWdZBQPSE

In the end, I think the best project setting for me is the AVCHD 1080i30(60i). (I did not usre the anamorphic setting)

for export I used the h.264 10801 preset with the 29.97 frame rate and 1920x1080 setting and changed the video size to 1280x720

Bam, the video looks pretty good. The volleyball movement looks a little odd about 3 quarters of the way through the video, but I think that might be because of my pc. I took about 2.5 hours to export a 4 minute video.

So, I think my problems are solved. I just need to get a faster computer, and stop viewing files in QT.

Please give me your thoughts on the video.