1 person found this helpful
As mentioned recently, Illy is very sensitive to font names, and there may be issues between formats (Open Type, True Type, Type 1, etc), which may especially appear in cross platform transfer (Win/Mac).
Having their fonts should solve the issue; if you can get them through their possibly extended licences, it would even be legal.
Apart from that, I believe this is one for Harron.
There are slight differences between Mac fonts and PC fonts. Open typefonts are supposed to be compatable with both Mac and PC. So, I would think if you can get your hands on the same fonts they used, as long as they're Open Type, they should work.
I was getting the same error... "the document uses fonts or characters which are not available." I was also getting the Find Font dialog window opening by itself. Although, my issues started happening at random when I opened a file I hadn't edited in a couple days. After much digging around I think it had something to do with my font management software. I had recently upgraded to Suitcase Fusion 4. Although, I hadn't made any changes to Suitcase prefs or font activation so I'm still not sure what happened.
In Illustrator I went to Type > Suitcase Fusion 4 > Suitcase Fusion 4 Autoactivation Preferences > and UNCHECKED Autoactivation. Not sure why that worked but it did!
This problem comes from multiple master font technology (eg: 83 is how bold the fonts is under MM), that was left behind by Apple & Adobe and is no longer supported.. This can be one of the more difficult problems to remove, but if you follow all the steps exactly, you will have success.
- Macintosh HD/Library/fonts/
- Macintosh HD/system/Library/fonts/
- Macintosh HD/users/(your name)/system/Library/fonts/
- Macintosh HD/applications/Adobe Illustrator CS6/(ctrl click on app and choose view package contents)/required fonts (YOU CAN SKIP THIS ONE, SHOULD BE NONE HERE IN CS6)
- find & remove all mm fonts (HelveLTMM, Helvetica LT MM, Helvetica????.dfont) from your system
- restart illustrator
- find and change your fonts
- save the file
- the problem will no longer come up on your machine
- if someone else opens this file on a machgine with mm fonts in their library, saves they can infect it again