7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 9:23 AM by Mylenium

Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec

afructose

Hi all - my first post here.

I've got some footage from an Avid project that I want to put into AE CS3. I don't know what the original footage was shot on.

I just bought Automatic Duck Pro Import AE in order to be able to work on this project.

Chosing 'Automatic Duck Pro Import AE' from AE's Import option, I then select a .omf file, but the .mov file that is created only shows as blank white.

I presumed that this was a missing codec, so I checked out GSpot, which tells me, when I import this .omf file, that the codec is DV/DVC. (Name: DV (SMPTE 314M)). Under 'Status', it says "Codec Status Undetermined".

Googling "DV/DVC", I *think* this is Panasonic. Can anyone confirm this?

I've installed pdvcodec.dll, but the .movs still show as just white.

Quicktime 7 Pro plays the same .movs back as a blank black screen.

Where do I go from here? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's Avid DV. Simply download the Avid CoDecs from their site or have the editor send you the required Quicktime components so you can install them.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec
            afructose Level 1

Thanks Mylenium.

I have Avid Codecs LE installed already.  Shouldn't that do the job?

Having said that, I just downloaded  Sherlock, but it doesn't show me anything with the name Avid in the  title.
            Also, I just nothing noticed a post on another forum that  suggested that I ought to see a list something like the following in  C:>Program Files>QuickTime>QTComponents

AvidAV1xCodec
            AvidAVd1Codec
            AvidAVdnCodec
            AvidAVdvCodec
            AvidAVjiCodec
            AvidAVpkCodec
            AvidAVuiCodec

My QT Componenets folder only has FLV.qtx in it. Should that  concern me?

Can you or anyone confirm whether or not I need Avid  Codecs PE in order to get the Avid DV codec?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec

It should. In that case the CoDecs were probably never installed right. The legacy method places them in C:\Windows\System32, so they may be there, though. move them manually in the correct place then.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec
                afructose Level 1

I'm tearing out my hair here...

Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm still stuck.

C:\Windows\System32 doesn't seem to have any of the Avid codecs in it. Indeed, I've done a search of the entire C drive for "avid", and aside from a few other things related to Avid, and some photos of a friend called David, it's turning up nothing!

I re-downloaded, and re-installed the Avid Codec pack LE.

Still nothing.

I'm running XP 64bit, by the way.

Do you know the filenames of the .dll files (is it .dll I'm looking for?) that I'm expecting to find installed from the Avid Codec LE?

That way I could hunt them down. My googling turns up nothing helpful about the path or the fielnames of these codecs.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec

The extension is *.qtx and the names are the ones you already mentioned. I have no problems here at work on a same system (WinXP 64, Avid Unity LANshare). Do you install correctly as admin?

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec
                    afructose Level 1

Thanks so much for all your help.

I rebooted the computer, and miraculously all the codecs appeared. Searching for .qtx confirmed that they were there.

I don't know quite to make of this, but I guess it will remain a mystery.

But now that the videos are playing, I have one more question:

There's no audio.

Which tool could I use to confirm that audio is in fact included in these .omf files?  GSpot doesn't say anything explicitly about this. I guess it's possible that the audio is separate, but how could I check this?

If the audio *is* there, then what could I do to force AE to use the appropriate codec?

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Automatic Duck import - can't work out which codec

There is no audio. That is, no embedded audio. Audio on Avid systems is stored as separate OMF files. The editor needs to supply those as well. I recommend, though, you ask him to provide an audio mixdown that covers the entire timeline as a AIFF/ WAV file, assuming you only need this as a reference track.

Mylenium