5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 5:07 PM by kglad

Problems targeting swf loaded with loadClip()

rickibarnes Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm having a really weird problem that I hope someone will be able to help me with. I'm using Actionscript 2.0.

Basically, I have a main .swf, into which I am loading another .swf using loadClip(), on the click of a button. It loads into an empty movie clip on the timeline of the main .swf called container_mc. So far so good, this works.

The problem comes when I am trying to control a movie clip that lives on the timeline of the external .swf. This clip has the instance name test_mc, and I'm trying to control it using the reference _level0.container_mc.test_mc. I have also tried just plain old container_mc.test_mc.

Neither of these work, though when I apply a trace to test_mc with Actionscript on the timeline of the external swf (test_mc.onRelease = function () { trace(this); }), it returns the path _level0.container_mc.test_mc (when clicked on after being loaded into the main movie, obviously).

Can anybody give me any ideas as to what is going wrong here? I've attached a couple of files demonstrating the problem I'm having.

Cheers for any assistance!