1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 2:42 PM by KCWebPlaza

    Error When Linking Projects Together in Captivate 4

    WestCoastTrainerGuy

      Hello!

       

      I've been having some challenges linking multiple captivate projects together.  I've done some research on the forums here and have noticed that this is a pretty common issue.  But unfortunately for me, after following the advice that I've read, I'm still having problems.  There's obviously something that I must be missing, so I'll do my best to outline what I've done in as much detail as possible in hopes that someone can help me.

       

      Software:

      I'm using Captivate version 4.0.1. Build 1658

       

      Situation:

      I'm creating an e-learning that it is made up of 8 separate projects:

      • Project A - Welcome Page (1 slide) which has a button that is linked to Project B
      • Project B - Home Page (1 slide) made up of 6 buttons, each one links to one of the 6 captivate projects (C-H) listed below
      • Project C - Lesson 1 (41 slides)
      • Project D - Lesson 2 (45 slides)
      • Project E - Lesson 3 (36 slides)
      • Project F - Lesson 4 (33 slides)
      • Project G - Lesson 5 (29 slides)
      • Project H - Lesson 6 (30 slides)

       

      Links:

      All of the links are made through text buttons, and when each button was created, in the area where it asks "If the user clicks the button", I select the "open other project" option.  Then I browse to the .cp project that I want to launch after the user clicks the button.  Only the relative path of the project I selected is showing in the "Project" field, then I click Apply, then OK.

       

      Publishing:

      I created a folder on my C: Drive named "MyName Captivate", and I published all of the projects to that folder.  Additionally, all of the projects are also in that folder as well.  When publishing the projects, I'm publishing them as Flash (.swf) files.  On the publishing screen, on the "Project Title" field, I left that field unchanged (it defualts to the project's name).  The "Folder" field has C:\MyName Captivate in it.  I checked "Publish Files to a Folder" and "Export HTML" under Export Options.

       

      Flash Security Settings:

      I went to the Flash Security Settings and made sure that the "Always Allow" radio button was clicked, and then I went to the "Edit Locations" drop down box and navigated to the "C:\MyName Captivate" folder where all of my .cp projects are located and added it to the "Always Trust Files in These Locations" field.

       

      The Problem:

      After all of the files have been published, and I test it out in my web browser, I get the following error message when I click the button to go to the linked project (in this case, when clicked, the button is supposed to take me to Project B): "Cannot find file:///C:/Users?HP%20User/AppData/Local/Temp/cp4Temp/~Cal55B/ProjectB.htm.  Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."  I am confused about where that internet path is coming from, because I made sure to place all of the project files into the "C:\MyName Captivate" folder, and the button when clicked should "open other project", which in this case is Project B.

       

      I hope that all made sense.  If anyone can help guide me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much for your help!

        • 1. Re: Error When Linking Projects Together in Captivate 4
          KCWebPlaza Level 1

          WestCoast,

          I believe this is an extremely common issue. Personally, I gave up trying to link projects together like this. I also wanted to offer my users a more "perpetual" interface. I wanted the user, at any time, to be able to switch to another Captivate movie - rather than being forced to navigate through more slides to find the right button to click. So, I created a product called the Launch Pad. It works by using one web page with a menu. Clicking a menu item pulls in a seperate .SWF file into the web page.

           

          One suggestion might be to have your buttons link to fully qualified (http://myserver/myfolder) URLs instead of "projects". Each button links to the HTML file that Captivate publishes. Full URLs with the entire URL of the HTML file seem to work better than relative URLs.