4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 7:11 AM by david.griffiths

Problem with Stabilizer in Elements 8

david.griffiths

Hi, I tried the following:

• dragged a clip from the organizer to the timeline
      • that resulted in it being split up into scenes (using the default content scene detection)
      • then I dragged the stabilizer effect onto the second scene
      • set smoothness up to 90 so I would definitely see the difference
      • saved to mpeg format

and... it didn't have any effect. If I do the same but for the first scene it works fine. The second scene is quite bouncy (walking along the road) and also quite short (only 20 seconds or so).

So is there a problem applying an effect to the second scene or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Problem with Stabilizer in Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A lot depends on the format of your video.

What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

And which project preset did you use for your Premiere Elements project?

• 2. Re: Problem with Stabilizer in Elements 8
            david.griffiths Level 1

Hi, the video came from a Canopus Analog to Digital converter captured using WinDV. The project presets are whatever the defaults are - this is my first attempt at using Elements 8. Output for save was set to DVD/PAL/MPEG.

But I don't understand why any of that should matter bearing in mind it works for the first scene. At that smoothness setting the effect is very noticeable with big black edges swooping in and out. For the second scene, nothing.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3. Re: Problem with Stabilizer in Elements 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you check the clip 2's Properties panel to ensure that the effect has been applied and have you maybe tweaked its settings there?

To open the panel, right-click on your clip on the timeline and select Show Properties.

Also, it could be related to your clip's composition. The program needs identifiable elements in your video frame to build the motion paths for the Stabilizer. If there's too much moving around or too much change in the content, the program won't be able to analyze the clip's content.

• 4. Re: Problem with Stabilizer in Elements 8
                david.griffiths Level 1

Definitely not the former because I can see the effect listed in the summary in the right-hand pane and if I select another clip it is not listed.

Guess it must be the latter then - the clip starts with the camera swinging from vertical to horizontal so maybe that confused it. Don't suppose there's a log anywhere that says "sorry, couldn't apply image stabilizer"?

I will try joining the first and second clips together. The split is artificial anyway, caused by pointing the camera at the ground temporarily.

Cheers,

Dave